Chauffeur OD diodes

HamishR

There are a lot of diodes in the Chauffeur! In particular there are four 1N5222B 2.5V zener diodes. I seem to have ended up with 1N5223B 2.7V zener diodes. Will this make any difference or should I find some 1N5222Bs?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Owing to lack of replies and an impatience to get started I just built my Chauffeur OD with some 1N5221Bs, which are 2.4V zener diodes. I don't even know what these diodes are doing in the circuit because there is no schematic yet, so I thought "how bad can it be if the zeners are .1V out?" Well it seems it doesn't matter too much because the pedal sounds great! I used TL072s and a 1044S charge pump and it works perfectly. I'm quite impressed, although it could almost use a C10K gain pot because a lot of the gain happens quite late. It's fine for me how it is because I don't use higher gain much. The tone is quite a muscular Marshall-y kind of sound, and it sound great with my Les Paul. I like it way better than any of the Friedman pedals I've built - it's a lot better balanced and reasonable natural sounding.

Back