Chop Shop (Barbershop)

FWIW: On bass, I found my OG FC Barbershop's "SAG" to be subtle as well.

Looking forward to building this and comparing Barbershop to Chop Shop, tête-à-tête.
Yep, I’ll sometimes dial it in but mainly use 3 settings: full CCW, middle, full CW.

On the build I did for my friend, it compared well to my Modèle B.

Reactions: fig
FWIW: On bass, I found my OG FC Barbershop's "SAG" to be subtle as well.

Looking forward to building this and comparing Barbershop to Chop Shop, tête-à-tête.
A big part of why I want to build one of these is because I ordered a Quilter US amp recently. I had a 101 in the past and it sounded similar to a tube amp clean but not 100% there. People say combining the sag of the Barbershop and the Quilter makes it even closer to a typical tube amp. The interesting thing is that when I read the build reports for this pcb, it sounds like many people feel the sag isn't making that much difference...

A big part of why I want to build one of these is because I ordered a Quilter US amp recently. I had a 101 in the past and it sounded similar to a tube amp clean but not 100% there. People say combining the sag of the Barbershop and the Quilter makes it even closer to a typical tube amp. The interesting thing is that when I read the build reports for this pcb, it sounds like many people feel the sag isn't making that much difference...
Properly biased, it does and is quite nice ;)

Welp, guess I'm making another one of these, my sag is very subtle too
If you used sockets for your JFETs, it could be a matter of trying out different ones, which is exactly what I did.
But if you didn't, I highly recommend you do use sockets on your new build!

If you used sockets for your JFETs, it could be a matter of trying out different ones, which is exactly what I did.
But if you didn't, I highly recommend you do use sockets on your new build!
Any suggestions for possible options for substitution for the J201s? I assume this is more likely to affect the overdrive character rather than sag?

I think 2n5457 will need significant adjustment of the drain resistors to bias correctly, and will be lower gain. The sag knob may not work over the whole range. You could get it to work, and probably sound nice if biased correctly, but it wouldn’t sound like a barbershop then.

I’d heartily recommend using the smd pre-soldered j201 from pedalpcb for this project.

I'm half considering trying to unsolder my old j201s and put in new ones, seems like it would almost be easier to build a whole new circuit though

Back