Chorus - Not a Question, but an Observation

Dirty_Boogie

I'm a sucker for 80's chorus tones, and have built many PT2399-based chorus pedals. But the thing that irks me every time I use these pedals is the predelay/slapback effect you always get with these circuits. Some designers exploit that as a feature (e.g., the EQD Sea Machine's Dimension and Animate controls) but I find it really distracting when all I want is chorus.

I finally sourced some good bucket brigade chips, and completed the Cepheid Chorus (Boss CE-2) pedal last night. Wow! What a difference... lush, rich chorus, with none of the annoying bounce. Wish I had built this sooner. Chorus lovers... do yourself a favor and build this board, now!

IMG_4896.jpeg

PT2399-based chorus pedals. But the thing that irks me every time I use these pedals is the predelay/slapback effect you always get with these circuits.
FYI: The MN3007 provides a signal delay time of 5.12 to 51.2ms; the PT2399 ranges from about 30 to 340+ms. The longer times for the PT2399 means that, even at the lowest delay time, there's a perceptible gap that will register as a 'slap-back' delay.

Back