Circuit Design - Power Supplies

TUTORIAL Circuit Design - Power Supplies

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
BuddytheReow submitted a new resource:

Circuit Design - Power Supplies - Putting Together Your Power Supply

When it comes to circuit design, one of the more boring but incredibly important aspects to consider is your power supply section.

Take a look at the below schematic. It is taken from the Captain Bit circuit and provides a good overview of what you need. No breadboard tutorial is needed here, but I thought it would be a good idea to talk about WHY this section is important and what it does.

View attachment 27917

Here, there are 2 power rails: positive (+) and negative...

Read more about this resource...

Hey, so question about the voltage divider resistor values for Vref - I've gathered that the lower the value, the higher the power consumption to ground, and values too high could choke off current needed for Vref users and drop your Vref voltage. Any rules of thumb for choosing values? Thanks!

I have been thinking about the power section for a while now. Mainly because I see so many variations in the power sections and I am trying to design a pedal and want to try to make it so that you could have a noisy power supply and the pedal would filter out the noise.

I have a few questions.

1. On the Mach1 schematic, they use a 20uf capacitor. If you increase it to 100uf, will this improve filtering and will it change anything about the sound of the pedal?
2. I was reading an article from Coda Effects about capacitors and they recommend an electrolytic cap and film cap in parallel for better filtration. Ideally, should you always do this?

Yes. In general, increasing the capacitance will increase the amount of filtering. I’ve seen a pedal schematic/layout that called for a 1000uf cap! This is clearly overkill. The trade off for higher cap values is the size of the component itself w.r.t the size of the enclosure is going in. In general I’ve seen anywhere from 10-100uf. You can add the additional box cap in parallel for additional filtering. If the circuit is still noisy from DC ripple after that you should look at changing your power supply.

I have been thinking about the power section for a while now. Mainly because I see so many variations in the power sections and I am trying to design a pedal and want to try to make it so that you could have a noisy power supply and the pedal would filter out the noise.

I have a few questions.

1. On the Mach1 schematic, they use a 20uf capacitor. If you increase it to 100uf, will this improve filtering and will it change anything about the sound of the pedal?
2. I was reading an article from Coda Effects about capacitors and they recommend an electrolytic cap and film cap in parallel for better filtration. Ideally, should you always do this?
Most of my building (at least up until a few years ago) was either scratch builds or mods for home audio equipment. One of the first mods typically made, even to "high end" gear, was upping the filter capacitors, and making sure everything had good bypass caps on it. Several things to note though—these were all supplies that were converting AC to DC, and the goal was as much fidelity as possible. (Neither really apply to the vast majority of guitar effects.) But, I used to almost always up the supply caps to several hundred uF, and usually had on or two bypass caps on them, usually a polypropylene in the nano range, and a styrene in the upper pico range. This is all overkill for pedals, but I still (when the schematic doesn't call for it) fit in a 100nF box cap, either right at the main supply cap, or right at the ICs—very little extra work or cost, and it does give you benefits (speed and some filtering advantages—I think?—). The larger supply caps make for a "stiffer" supply, so in pedals that go for sag, etc., it's actually a detriment. Less "amp feel" when you're playing.

Power supplies are typically the most expensive parts of a lot of equipment. Since we're using a DC supply to power our effects, the internal supplies are usually not nearly as critical—but as @BuddytheReow notes above, if you've got a noise issue, getting a better power supply is a good place to spend your money.

@BuddytheReow I've been reading your breadboarding tutorials, and I came across this one about about power supply circuits. One question for you -- is there any magic or is there a formula to calculate the ideal value of the filtering capacitor. I'm curious, particularly for particular situations where you may have a specific emf noise that you are trying to filter out (say a 60 cycle hum or the frequency generated by the dentist's drill in the office next to your studio), is there a way to calculate the best filtering cap for these specific scenarios?

@BuddytheReow I've been reading your breadboarding tutorials, and I came across this one about about power supply circuits. One question for you -- is there any magic or is there a formula to calculate the ideal value of the filtering capacitor. I'm curious, particularly for particular situations where you may have a specific emf noise that you are trying to filter out (say a 60 cycle hum or the frequency generated by the dentist's drill in the office next to your studio), is there a way to calculate the best filtering cap for these specific scenarios?
The short answer, in my self taught experience, is no. There is no magic formula. “Standard” filtering that I’ve seen in schematics is 47uf or 100uf electro caps. Sometimes you’ll notice on the breadboard a sweet spot for how much DC filtering should be done. Sometimes you just need 22uf or as much as 100uf+. You’ll just need to experiment. It also depends on how good your power supply is too.

The short answer, in my self taught experience, is no. There is no magic formula. “Standard” filtering that I’ve seen in schematics is 47uf or 100uf electro caps. Sometimes you’ll notice on the breadboard a sweet spot for how much DC filtering should be done. Sometimes you just need 22uf or as much as 100uf+. You’ll just need to experiment. It also depends on how good your power supply is too.
Thanks. I've been trying to research this subject for a while, but I haven't really found anything concrete. In my studio, I have LED lights that generate some noise. It isn't really noticeable through the mixing console, but I do notice it in some of my pedals, and I think my guitar cables pick it up a little too. I know it's coming from the LEDs because when I turn off the lights, it goes away, but it's really hard to work in the dark, so I'm trying to find a filtering solution.

A low-pass filter is often used in power supplies. Plain, traditional RC filter.
Thanks, you've cleared up something that piqued my curiosity awhile back: exactly why various 9V power supplies use varying R and C values.

The relevance of 2 capacitors, #1 a larger electrolytic + #2 a smaller film cap is the following:
  1. A good electrolytic behaves fairly close to an 'ideal' capacitor at low frequencies, but it does not behave so well at high frequencies (here 'high' means well above audio frequencies, but more like RF - so ~MHz). Hence it does not do a good job of filtering noise such as high-frequency digital noise from the supply, any induced radio wave signals, any induced digital noise from environment, etc. The large value of the electrolytic does mean that it sets the corner frequency of the low frequency filter.
  2. The smaller film cap is much better behaved (more 'ideal') at high frequencies, so it can filter out noise at these frequencies - and since its relevance is only at such high frequencies, the film cap can have a much smaller capacitance than the electrolytic.
Hope this helps.

Back