circuit layout with charge pump best practices

jessenator

Basically what the title says. It seems like dark arts / randomness in the boards I've done in the past.

I know it can't be avoided in some circutstances, but I'm wondering what sort of layout considerations I should …consider.

Here's what I'm working on currently. It's verified on breadboard & (patched) previous version PCB, but I had concerns about the noise. If it's a noisy circuit, so be it, but I'd like to simply learn to lay things out optimally with charge pumps. Is it physical proximity? grounding? For reference I am using the TC7660H. It's not squeal like I've experienced in the past. I don't get anything on a (granted, amateur hour) klone PCB layout of mine either, but apples and oranges and all that. Most circuits I've done don't use a pump, so I don't think about it often.

SD5agVb.png

I simply need -9V for the OTA, speaking of which: I have the unused OTA terminated based on the TI guidelines for op-amps with a bi-polar supply:

OPO0vim.png

iPO38p6.png

I know there are some weird things happening on the surface here, but it's for me to mentally check against a previous schematic built around a single OTA, CA3080 (the big numbers).

Anyhow, some advice/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back