Component recommendations for General Tso's Compressor

jhaneyzz

It's full on fall in Chicago so I'm warming up the soldering iron and getting to work on the pile of boards I picked up during the Halloween sale.

First up is a General Tso's compressor, but I'm short on the specified components (and some are not available) and looking for alternatives
BC549C - can I use 2n2222
BC557B - can I use 2N5088 or 2N5089.
J113 - Can I use J201
OPA3132 - Can I use an NE5532

This is one of those circuits when the OPA chip is worth it. You’re in for a treat! This is my 2nd favorite compressor, behind the Effectrode LA-1A. If anything, it’s more neutral, but just doesn’t add that tubaliscious harmonic magic.

Dammit, now I have to build one... I've been fixated on MadBean's Trash Compactor.
Notso fixated that you haven't asked for it back since I have on extended loan.....
I really love Gordo's Trash Compactor. Madbean is out of them.

My Keeley 4 knob is on of the only commercial pedals on my board.

some other alternatives to consider
BC549C - 2n5088
BC557B - 2n3906
OPA3132 - TL072

As for the jfet, not sure if your sub works, but if you socket it, it's easy to try and check others.

Can I use a BC557C instead of a BC557B? What's the difference?
I think I made that mistake when I was ordering stuff for the tso. I think the suffix indicates a gain bucket and I didn’t like the looks of the specs on the C. I forget the specifics. Just cracked mine open. Looks like I went with a bc556.

I think I made that mistake when I was ordering stuff for the tso. I think the suffix indicates a gain bucket and I didn’t like the looks of the specs on the C. I forget the specifics. Just cracked mine open. Looks like I went with a bc556.
Thanks, Erik. I was going to make a mouser order anyway, so I threw a few BC557Bs and some BC556s in there. Just didn't want to wait to build so was hoping the C would suffice. I'll socket of course maybe play around the substitutions suggested above while I wait

Last edited:
So build done (BC557Cs socketed), boxed it up and gave it a whirl and...wow, gorgeous! Right until I dimed out the sustain pot. Then things start to get fizzy, farty, poppy, "gatey" and it eventually stoped working. "It's got to be the BC557Cs," I thought. So I switched them out for the 2n3906s @spi suggested and same result.

Then I realized that I actually knew what was wrong from past experience (this novice is actually learning!). When I built an EQD Bellows clone awhile back (Moonn PCB), a similar thing happened with a gatey sounding JFET. I switched out the 2n5457 in that circuit with a J201 and presto! Problem solved. It was like the 2n547 didn't have enough "headroom" or something.

So of course my silly ass didn't socket the JFET in the General Tso tonight so I had to take the damn thing apart and remove the J113 and replace it with a socket. However, instead of a J201, I just threw a J113 from another batch in there and boom! Problem solved. Guys, this thing sounds gorgeous with BC557Cs in it, so I'm assuming it should sound slightly better with the BC557Bs when I get them. I'll do a full build report then :)

So lessons learned:
1. Always socket when you can (for the millionth time).
2. Damn, the General Tso is glorious indeed!
3. I now know that I know a poopy JFET (or JFET connection) when I hear one, which is pretty cool to have under one's belt

Hmmmm, "Poopy JFets".....I better check my stock for skid marks......
I doubt you’ll find anything. Your builds are so tight that I have no doubt any poopy JFets you get are weeded out before they can let loose or are miraculously cured by your seemingly magical hands

Back