Crazy good deal on art and design apps

Just a heads up for anyone who might have missed it the last time, Affinity is running a 50% off sale on the full suite again.

Does anyone know if Affinity Publisher is able to export PDFs while preserving layers (thinking about Tayda UV printing requirements)? I know Designer can't do that, just wondering if adding Publisher to my toolset would bridge that gap.

From their website;
"Check out just some of the brand-new features and major improvements below, including a new contour tool and select same in Affinity Designer, package output, data merge and PDF passthrough in Affinity Publisher, and the ability to add non-destructive liquify layers, path text and linked layers in Affinity Photo."

Sounds like it. I was just looking for the bundle (y)

From their website;
"Check out just some of the brand-new features and major improvements below, including a new contour tool and select same in Affinity Designer, package output, data merge and PDF passthrough in Affinity Publisher, and the ability to add non-destructive liquify layers, path text and linked layers in Affinity Photo."

Sounds like it. I was just looking for the bundle (y)
I don't know that I have a need for publisher

Reactions: fig
Does anyone know if Affinity Publisher is able to export PDFs while preserving layers (thinking about Tayda UV printing requirements)? I know Designer can't do that, just wondering if adding Publisher to my toolset would bridge that gap.
Designer does do that. Each layer is preserved. Not sure if that’s newer functionality or not but I use Designer to export for Tayda now.

I'm pretty sure Designer has always preserved layers... (at least since version 1.8.5)

I placed these two knobs, exported as PDF, opened that PDF, and then was able to drag the layers apart.

layers.jpg

Interesting, I tried it out with @SYLV9ST9R's help, and he couldn't see the layers when he imported the PDF onto Illustrator.

@Danbieranowski would you mind sharing your export settings? Thanks!
It's very possible that I only see the separate layers by re-opening the PDF with Designer. I'm not sure if it would work with Illustrator, I've never tried. But after a printing mishap with Tayda, I asked Hugo if the file was the cause of the issue and he said the files were good.

How Designer exports the layers is no matter how you "nest" the layers within each other, when Designer creates the PDF, it'll put those layers on the "base" layer list. For example, let's say I have a layer called "COLOR", and within that layer I have a second layer called "DRILL TEMPLATE". When I export that PDF, it will put COLOR and DRILL TEMPLATE in the layers list, rather than keeping DRILL TEMPLATE nested beneath the COLOR layer. This is obviously a 'no-go' for Tayda, as they only want the three layers they request. So to get around this, you have to make sure you don't use any layers other than those, and just use 'groups' within Designer when you want to group things together (like labels, drill template, etc.).

Here's a sample of my export settings:
1612727475595.png

It's very possible that I only see the separate layers by re-opening the PDF with Designer. I'm not sure if it would work with Illustrator, I've never tried. But after a printing mishap with Tayda, I asked Hugo if the file was the cause of the issue and he said the files were good.

How Designer exports the layers is no matter how you "nest" the layers within each other, when Designer creates the PDF, it'll put those layers on the "base" layer list. For example, let's say I have a layer called "COLOR", and within that layer I have a second layer called "DRILL TEMPLATE". When I export that PDF, it will put COLOR and DRILL TEMPLATE in the layers list, rather than keeping DRILL TEMPLATE nested beneath the COLOR layer. This is obviously a 'no-go' for Tayda, as they only want the three layers they request. So to get around this, you have to make sure you don't use any layers other than those, and just use 'groups' within Designer when you want to group things together (like labels, drill template, etc.).

Here's a sample of my export settings:
View attachment 9620

Thanks for sharing, really appreciate it, @Danbieranowski!

So I bought Designer and Photo, having only scratched the surface working with Illustrator I can see I'm going to take a few steps back getting used to the differences, but it's coming along

Might have to give it a try. Photoshop, GIMP, and what not always kick my ass.. Once I start learning, I end up not using it for a while and I forget what I learned.

Are there any good ground-up tutorials for affinity?
I’ve bought Designer, but I’m finding it, erm, difficult to use.
Gravit seems to be much easier to work out, for a person with zero background in or experience of graphic design.

Are there any good ground-up tutorials for affinity?
Here is the official Start Guide, and they maintain a forum. Once you learn the basic terminology and how it relates to your goal, it should get you started. (at least, that's my plan)

Plus, the folks here are a tremendous resource (y)

Even though I don't use these a lot. I went ahead and purchased them.. maybe now I will get off my ass and learn.. no no not really, I'm only kidding myself. :)

Back