Custom Arkaim Fuzz...

Fingolfen

A couple of years ago I'd built a few clones of the Mountainking Megalith using the PedalPCB Arkaim Fuzz board. Recently, I'd gotten a request for a custom "doomy" pedal - with Steggi on it. The Megalith seemed to fit the bill, so I came up with a fun new enclosure and ran with it...

Dark Steggi - 01.jpg

The PCB is unchanged from the originals I did last year. The layout on the PCB is really roomy, and I still wonder if this could be shoehorned into a 125B enclosure, but I do enjoy having extra room for art and what not. I'm using all 1% metal film resistors (Yageo) and 5% metal film capacitors (WIMA and KEMET). The electrolytic capacitors are all Nichicon and Rubycon, and the transistors / diodes are all new production as well.

Dark Steggi - 02.jpg

Once the board was together and cleaned, I followed my normal wiring procedures. The pots are all protected with dust covers. The jacks are connected with aviation grade wire from Tube Depot and all of the connections are insulated with heat shrink tubing. I'm using ribbon cable for both the on / bypass switch and the "heavy" switch this time around because it is just easier to work with. The 3PDT daughter board on the bypass switch is one of my "Steggo" ones.

Dark Steggi - 03.jpg

For the enclosure, I borrowed part of the Steggi art from the Saurus Regina pedal I've done before, but re-worked the rest of the Miragaia enclosure with new text and a black / white / red control area. I'm also using black LED bezels with diffused red LEDs. The whole enclosure is UV printed on a matte clear enclosure from Tayda. Overall I really love the effect. Red Brutalist knobs round out the whole effect!

The sound of the pedal absolutely matches the ones I built before - it's doomy, metal, and heavy! It's a fun pedal that I still use from time to time!

Original blog entry: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2024/07/a-custom-miragaia.html

I love this and need to build another of these. There is a 125b version pcb that effectslayouts does. I know not everyone loves the 2 footswitch in that small of a format though. This one definitely dooms. I remember that it's a very synthy sounding fuzz where you can tweak knobs all day and it's just as brutal at any setting.

Beautiful. One question, I saw that in many tayda prints, in the big blocks of solid color you can see the printer's own lines but here I don't see them. In your case, it does not have this type of lines?

Back