CV7112

TalentlessTxn

Hi all! Second time builder, first time poster. Does anyone know a good source for the CV7112, and if their are other options. Thanks much.

You’ll want to look for transistors with HFE around 100. You can get old Russian transistors like MP38A or 106nu70 off eBay for pretty cheap and then you can sort through them for gain suitability. Or just buy a decent tested one from smallbear if that’s too much effort haha

You’ll want to look for transistors with HFE around 100. You can get old Russian transistors like MP38A or 106nu70 off eBay for pretty cheap and then you can sort through them for gain suitability. Or just buy a decent tested one from smallbear if that’s too much effort haha
Smallbear is definitely the best route for me since I am woefully unskilled when it comes to electronics. Thanks much

Caveat emptor when buying semiconductors on eBay. Ask the seller these two questions:
Do you test them?
Do you handle & package them according to ESD best practices?

Also interested in ch ra's question. Ive been looking for somewhere to source an cv7112 and it just seems to be straight up unavailable. And in general im interested in some of these classic circuits, but might want to use modern parts just because im cheap (ie broke). Which are the ranges on the data sheet to compare that I should be paying attention to again?

Sorry to revive a zombie thread but could you use a low gain Silicon NPN Transistor for the Red Rooster?

You definitely could. As long as it's low gain and you're able to bias it correctly, it should be fine. I tried a couple of 2N2222 there and they sounded pretty good to me. That's the same transistor that goes into the Naga Viper as well, btw.

Super interested by this subject actually. Love The Chicken Head but find it pretty hard to produce more then one that'll works ok. Due to finding the right transistor. So you're saying that I could just replace the germanium transistor in this circuit as long as it's low gain (I suppose around 100 HFE ? like the transistor one ? - Any recommandation other than the 2N2222 that's worst trying ? Should I go with a bigger value for the trimmer to increase the biasing range ? Any other mods that should be made to the circuit to make a good fit of the silicium transistor ? Thanks the input ! :)

2N3903, 2N2221. High-voltage transistors tend to have lower HFE; I've had good success with 2N6517.

You won't need a bigger trimpot with Si transistors.

Back