Dallas Rangemaster NPN

Jiberjew

Hope everyone is good!! I'm trying to build a NPN version of the Dallas Rangemaster. I actually got some PCB's made based off of electrosmash's schematics (https://www.electrosmash.com/images...emaster-positive-negative-ground-circuits.png). I followed it to a tee. Soldered it up, no luck. Troubleshot it, all looks good. As I am still fairly new to this, the only issue I see is the switch wiring. I took a page out of PedalPCB's book for that. I can post the schematics I drew, if anyone would like to see that. I'm nearly positive I have a 3PDT switch wiring issue. I am following basic pedal switch wiring, if that helps. Also using BC108 transistors, if that helps. Anyhow, thats in advance for any feedback!

Hope everyone is good!! I'm trying to build a NPN version of the Dallas Rangemaster. I actually got some PCB's made based off of electrosmash's schematics (https://www.electrosmash.com/images...emaster-positive-negative-ground-circuits.png). I followed it to a tee. Soldered it up, no luck. Troubleshot it, all looks good. As I am still fairly new to this, the only issue I see is the switch wiring. I took a page out of PedalPCB's book for that. I can post the schematics I drew, if anyone would like to see that. I'm nearly positive I have a 3PDT switch wiring issue. I am following basic pedal switch wiring, if that helps. Also using BC108 transistors, if that helps. Anyhow, thats in advance for any feedback!
please post well-focused detailed pics of your build so that it can be assessed :)

(the troubleshooting sub-forum is the place for this type of thread)

please post well-focused detailed pics of your build so that it can be assessed :)

(the troubleshooting sub-forum is the place for this type of thread)

Ohhh shot!! You're right, wrong sub-forum, thanks! It's been a frustrating day! I tried to move it to that sub forum, but I think is too late. I'll post a picture of the 3PDT switch tomorrow, my sons been chomping at the bit to jam with me, but I attached a pic of my schematic. The 3PDT wiring is the same as pedalPCB's. I posted a picture of that for reference as well, my PCB has the in/gnd/sw/out just as the pedalPCB pic I posted, and the 3PDT is wired the same as the pic. Hopefully this helps. I can post the actual build, if needed, tomorrow. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 8.23.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 8.23.54 PM.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 8.29.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 8.29.25 PM.png
    491.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
difd you test + measure your transistor?
I will tomorrow. Electrosmash suggest I have +2 volts to ground across the collector, +8 volts to ground across the base and +8.2 volts to ground across the emitter. I hope this sounds right. I've never biased my transistors before, so I'd have to research that a bit. I did run across a similar issue like this before, so you might be onto something.

I will tomorrow. Electrosmash suggest I have +2 volts to ground across the collector, +8 volts to ground across the base and +8.2 volts to ground across the emitter. I hope this sounds right. I've never biased my transistors before, so I'd have to research that a bit. I did run across a similar issue like this before, so you might be onto something.

It's really the only mildly complicated part of a rather simple circuit so it would add up :ROFLMAO:

It's really the only mildly complicated part of a rather simple circuit so it would add up :ROFLMAO:
The other pedal I was working on was that had a similar issue was a zonk machine style fuzz. I was using PNP transistors and could never get it to work. Gave up, moved on and put it in the "to do later" pile. hahahaha. If I can figure out how to bias the transistors, I can probably get that zonk machine going. After my jam session with the boy, I'll look into how to do that. Audio circuits are still new to me, I got about 6 months under my belt. 4 builds I designed and quite a few from here. It's a lot of fun for sure, but I'm an electrical engineer for the power distribution industry and audio circuits are no where close to that, hahahaha! So I have a mild learning curve for sure!!

The other pedal I was working on was that had a similar issue was a zonk machine style fuzz. I was using PNP transistors and could never get it to work. Gave up, moved on and put it in the "to do later" pile. hahahaha. If I can figure out how to bias the transistors, I can probably get that zonk machine going. After my jam session with the boy, I'll look into how to do that. Audio circuits are still new to me, I got about 6 months under my belt. 4 builds I designed and quite a few from here. It's a lot of fun for sure, but I'm an electrical engineer for the power distribution industry and audio circuits are no where close to that, hahahaha! So I have a mild learning curve for sure!!

sounds like it adds up to what we're talking about. ge trannies are a fickle mistress lol

Back