Dark Rift Delay: "Riflebird Delay"

rwl

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is my build of the Dark Rift Delay, based on the EQD Space Spiral, a modulated delay. A really fun pedal and a fun build. I saw this recommended in one of the various "favorite pedal" threads, and it had a bunch of positive reviews in the store, so I figured "why not?", and I'm glad I did.

I struggled with the design and name a bit, but ended up going with the Victoria's Riflebird, a bird-of-paradise with an amazing dance. This bird is a dark color and does an incredible snappy/swirling dance that looks a bit like a tango (1-minute video is well worth watching all the way through). There's also the magnificent riflebird with an even better but less spirally dance. These birds are also iridescent and have a bright yellow mouth, which made for a unique design. I was worried the yellow mough would look artificial. Overall, I'm very happy with this design; the only thing that didn't quite work out was the positioning of the "Shape" label, which I had to slice in half to maintain enough contrast to read. I've started to lock in on a style I'm happy with and the mechanics of creating those designs in Photoshop/Illustrator. The enclsoure is Tayda lawn green.

I had no problems with the build. All the components are easily sourced and cheap, I made no mistakes, and as a result it fired right up. There's just a bunch of resistors and film caps. My wiring remains embarrassing; I always overestimate the distance to the footswitch. I housed this in a boring enclosure for a while, since I've been trying to complete 10 or more designs at a time for Tayda bulk UV discounts. This one is a bit tricky to use and remember without labels! I didn't audition 2399s but did socket the one I used, so I might try a few others if I'm feeling bored.

In terms of the sound, this isn't exactly an always-on pedal. With the Depth knob all the way down, it's an unremarkable delay IMO (I prefer the Seabed Delay among my current builds), but as it's turned up it has an intense detuning sound. Very lo-fi or VHS sounding. Combined with the delay effect it's really wild. I like keeping it somewhat subtle, but even then I'm not sure this will stay on my pedalboard full-time. I do really like unique-sounding pedals that aren't just pure noise.

Highly recommended if you want something differeent!

Attachments

• riflebird_front.jpg
    riflebird_front.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 4
  • riflebird_guts.jpg
    riflebird_guts.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 4
Back