Dead End FX Gnawty

fuzz

Finished up the build the other day. Everything went together as expected and without a hitch, with a couple exceptions.

The rotary selector pot has a different Z height than the standard pots and toggles and at first I couldn’t figure out why everything was not sitting flat but at an angle. Finally realized this and wasn’t sure how to rectify. Ended up drilling out the hole to accommodate more of the pot to come through the enclosure as seen in the pic. Problem solved.

Second issue was the drill template. It says print at no scale or 100% and yet it didn’t match up. It was still smaller than it should be compared to the pcb. I ended up taking a screenshot and pasting into word and then adjusting the scale and then printing. Upon some deeper searching it seems I’m not the only one, and someone whom I assume is from DEFX made a comment along the lines of we expect you all to know what you are doing, implying an incorrect template should be acceptable. I’m unsure about this take. I’ve never had this issue with other builds, but I cannot confirm 100% that it’s not my printer dialogue that’s not working as it should. Anyways, pro or not I think an accurate drill template is to be expected. Th fully I opted to drill myself instead of farming it out.

The third issue was both the lack of a top jack/power template and the fact that there seemed to be a bunch of shit on the pcb where the jacks would normally go. It was resolved but I spent more time than I usually do measuring and testing and measuring again…

Pedal sounds great, I socketed the transistors so I could experiment but currently using 2N5088’s cause thise are the only ones I have enough of. Might mix and match a bit.

It’s a big pedal, and I am new to this hobby, and don’t know a thing about tracing layouts, but there seems to be excessive dead space, not sure if things could be reduced to a smaller footprint. There’s already a ton of knobs so not sure how feasible that would be.

Attachments

• IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 7
Back