Deadend FX and Lowballer

Diynot

Another batch of builds. First up, the Lowballer:
983CA672-3BD0-4660-9502-9E222B9820B7.jpeg AA7BE583-AC22-439A-91D9-F9DA3E4C0CFA.jpeg
This envelope filter is near and dear to my heart having been my first env filter, as well as, one of my first modding projects. It is a much maligned circuit but it does it’s one thing that none other can. Just a unique sound. Adding the extra tweakability is just icing on the cake. I like having the distortion on a foot switch as a kind of boost if needed since adding in the clipping also boosts the volume.
Next up, 2 Deadend FX projects. The “Tatiana” which is a clone of the Schumann Floop.
7EEEF581-6FA4-4C9F-921B-7C96CF488182.jpeg 0D33FD87-DBC1-4A9C-87B7-C8E47598F61B.jpeg
A fairly low parts count build, but nerve racking. Calls for 1590bb2/s or 1590c box. I decided on the bb2 since it is now available at Tayda. Thing is deadend does not supply a full drill template so I had to measure 10x, drill once and pray. I got everything in, but damn was it a tight fit. As for what this does? Place a pedal in the effects loop and the Floop feeds the signal back into it. If you like delay in run away oscillation this allows you to do it with any pedal, sky’s the limit. I tried it with my ghost echo and I couldn’t stop smiling. Also gives you the option of attack/decay settings, filter, and an LFO (although I have not unlocked the secret of what the lfo is doing exactly). This pedal has a bit of a learning curve, but I highly recommend.
Next is “The Thing”. A clone of the TWA Dynamorph.
79774584-8C5A-4104-8B95-0B9A08F323EE.jpeg 3F97B725-C570-4DAD-9E40-54983D851E64.jpeg
This is another weird, but super enjoyable pedal. I haven’t had the chance to really dig into this one yet, but the testing sounds were delightful. Synthy, growly, envelope filtered madness. I need to tweak the env threshold a little. Rattle can and gold glitter as an homage to the original.

WOW
The fact that you were able to source all the parts for those Dead End FX builds is praiseworthy alone, but you assembled them beautifully on top of that- really nice work ( I'm super jealous of that "Floop" )

Good luck remembering which knob does what!
Thanks! These ones actually weren’t too terrible to source, mouser and Tayda had most of the bits needed, it was the vactrols that were the PITA. Were fairly costly builds though, comparatively speaking. 🤫 I may or may not have slapped some dymo labels on them after photos.
Man, those Deadend FX pcbs look really interesting but also scare the hell out of me, especially their drill templates haha. Looks great though! I'd be super curious to hear how they sound.
They provide the drill template for the pots and switches, but not for the jacks. They also position the pots so that you need vertical space to fit the jacks, hence the call for the 1590j for the thing and the 1590c for the Tatiana. I have no setup to record sound samples aside from my phone. I can try and get some, but it will be ugly

Back