SOLVED Deflector - no effect, just subtle distortion [NOW DEFLECTING!]

Cucurbitam0schata

Learning lots over here in troubleshooting mode. I built two Deflectors (one for me, one for pal), and one works! I got a problem with my second deflector build... I'm sniffing around with an audio probe, photos and multi-meter. Any thoughts would be super appreciated, folks!

Resistors
All the resistor ohm readings match on both pedals, so I feel pretty confident that all resistors are correct.

Audio Probe Results (non exhaustive)
Audio problems all start around the TL072.
C9 and IC2.15 (FV-1) are very quiet compared to working pedal
R9-13 are all distorted compared to working pedal
IC1.4 has sound, whereas the working pedal doesn't produce any sound...

Multimeter Voltages for the TL072 -
Voltages around the rest of non-working pedal are OK, and/or lead back the TL072 (IC#1). Very thankful I built two of the same for troubleshooting.

IC# - Working / Non-working Pedal
#1 - 4.47 / 8.25
#2 - 4.47 / 8.25
#3 - 2.09 / 6.91
#4 - 0.00 / 7.44
#5 - 4.28 / 6.85
#6 - 4.47 / 6.83
#7 - 4.48 / 7.41
#8 - 8.93 / 8.88

Photos
Gut shots of working and non-working pedals and my very professional audio probe - the two audio outs on the Boss Looper are a plus in this situation for the double builds when troubleshooting! I was able to A/B test very quickly.

Working Pedal - very deflective!
IMG_0222.jpg

Non-working Pedal - muffled and distorted, no reverb
IMG_0223.jpg

Gut Shots
IMG_0225.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg

Audio Probe (patent pending)
IMG_0224.jpg

Last edited:
Check your TL072 voltages on the empty socket especially pin 4 doesn't look like there's much solder on the socket pin 4

No IC pins look like they're bent but visually check to make sure

Your main problem is the TL072 doesn't have a good ground connection

So could be a few things faulty op amp, dry socket solder joint, bent pin or short or bridge somewhere

SOLVED!

@Mcknib - Grounding issue, re-touched the socket. you were spot on, i went over pin 4 (well, 1-4, to be sure) on the board and it all worked. Liked your idea about testing the sockets without the ICs, that'll be a good trick for next time.

@Nostradoomus - great eye. I think that's ok, in my fact finding mission I scratched that part clean and it's throwing out the right voltages (solid work, @PedalPCB , on that soldering ;))

@ all - I learned a lot with this sleuthing - the audio probe (used a random 100n cap and banana clips) and testing for voltages is way simpler than I thought, just gotta try it out and make extra noise. my advice from one noob to another, if I figured it out so can you.

Back