Deflector Reverb - noise

owlexifry

first dabble at FV-1. first time using the 'basic relay bypass' board.
finished this a few weeks ago (pcb came with FV-1 presoldered)
was super excited.
sounds really cool.
just wish i could get rid of this noise

in this demo everything is at noon, except mix, which i turn up to noon to bring in the effect (and the noise) at the start.

- noise disappears when mix is turned all the way down.
- noise repeats with the echo repeats.
- noise isn’t really affected by altering positions of any controls (except mix)

IMG_2664.jpeg

i thought it might be coming from the relay switch circuit, so i snuck in a 1N5817 between the relay circuit +9v supply, and that did nothing.

volts:
supply - 8.98v
after 1N5817 - 8.68v

tl072 pin8 - 8.68v

ic3
pin 8 - 3.34v
pin 6 - 3.33v

FV-1
pin6 - 3.33v
pin13 - 3.33v
pin14 - 3.33v
pin26 - 3.33v

IMG_2665.jpeg

is there something i’ve done wrong?
where do i start looking?

Pretty sure bet it was from holding it, you need to bend the end of the legs at right angles so just enough is sticking out to clip under each Leg of the FV-1 with no human contact, a hard ask for sure or rubber gloves.

Because the FV-1's clock is driven by the CD4049, the cap will do nothing but interfere the CD4049's actions. The CD4049 IS the clock and the "Deflect" controls its frequency.

At this point, I suggest you carefully examine every component for the correct value compared to the BOM. There's a chance an incorrect resistor or cap value is at play.

Last edited:
Because the FV-1's clock is driven by the CD4049, the cap will do nothing but interfere the CD4049's actions. The CD4049 IS the clock and the "Deflect" controls its frequency.
the differentiator cap basically morphs the square clock signal into a single shot signal. I doubt it fixes it but it's no destructive and seemed easy enough to try.

Maybe the 555 in the relay bypass is making noise on the ground, messing with the fv-1? 555s can be very noisy due to their current spikes. Could try a lmc555(CMOS version, lower current) or just try bypassing the bypass board.

Maybe the 555 in the relay bypass is making noise on the ground, messing with the fv-1? 555s can be very noisy due to their current spikes. Could try a lmc555(CMOS version, lower current) or just try bypassing the bypass board.
fuck, i didn’t think about the ground.
(i did slip in an additional 5817 specifically for the +9v relay bypass supply)

i guess i should at least try it with a 3pdt or something.

doesn’t seem right though because i’ve definitely seen these boards used with soft switch circuits before without issue.

fuck, i didn’t think about the ground.
(i did slip in an additional 5817 specifically for the +9v relay bypass supply)

i guess i should at least try it with a 3pdt or something.

doesn’t seem right though because i’ve definitely seen these boards used with soft switch circuits before without issue.
Just starting to think outside the box some. Idk if a CMOS 555 can provide enough current for the relay, or is it just switching a transistor(haven't looked at schem)? But, I try to use those in any audio circuit when able.
I'm assuming it's just doing a flip flop and isn't a vibrator. If that's the case, I doubt it's the issue.
Again, just thinking out loud.

i don't have a signal generator, yes i could just use a 200Hz sine sample or whatever off youtube and send it with my iphone to the pedal, but i'm too dumb to gather anything useful from that process anyway.
so audio probe it is.

- guitar direct into pedal
- audio probe into audio interface:

Pin 2 (INPUT) - clean as a whistle

Pin 27 (FEEDBACK) - obvious cyclical repeating artefact noise. (pin 1 is very similar)

Pin 28 (WET OUTPUT) - same noise as in previously posted clips

so the input signal into the FV-1 (pin 2) is clean and crisp.
the feedback loop output (straight from the FV-1 pin 27) indicates a distinct cyclical repeating clicking noise, also ending up in the wet signal.
and yep the wet signal straight from pin 28 is fucked, despite a perfectly clean input signal.

how does this make any sense.
You can get a function generator app. Mine is called "f generator PRO", think it was like $3.

You should test all the components through the signal path using the schematic. It will tell you exactly where the noise starts. I've had weird things like a bad cap or a cold joint on a resister. My latest problem was forgetting to solder one side of a cap :ROFLMAO: In my experience it is rarely a bad chip, but if the noise starts after the FV-1, that's the culprit.

Lastly, I've some pedals that didn't like certain power supplies. I'm not sure what the current draw of the FV-1 is but if you have a different power supply, might be worth trying.

Back