DEFX Meaty Balls

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I boxed this up this morning, a clone of the Lovetone Meatball envelope filter. I initially started (cough, failed) building this in 2020. With a nice little pile of victories on my bench, I got a little cocky. This was the biggest board i had ever seen, my first experience with vactrols or ldrs, and I think it may be my first envelope filter. I populated it without socketing anything so when it didn't pass sound I was pretty sad. I did put some effort into figuring out the problem and learned quite bit in the process but lost interest. One of my first inhabitants of the box of shame. I may have destroyed the traces that were bad when I replaced an IC or maybe it was defective. No way to know now but my buddy Pete troubleshot it for me.

Sounds awesome. I'm low on jacks so the expression/loop will have to wait. If this thing fit in a 125bb I might use it instead of my madbean junk trunk/ brown dog. It is way way too big to justify live use... sad because it really is a fantastic take on the mutron. Screenshot_20231206_122251_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20231206_122303_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds awesome. I'm low on jacks so the expression/loop will have to wait. If this thing fit in a 125bb I might use it instead of my madbean junk trunk/ brown dog. It is way way too big to justify live use... sad because it really is a fantastic take on the mutron.

Aion has their new Mu-Tron III board, fits in a 125b, and could fairly easily have the bells and whistles hacked into it. It's also considerably easier to dial in than the Lovetone take
Fuzzdog has their MooTron meant for 1590BB

But, this lineage of filters and the Junk Trunk are definitely the absolute best of all the filters I've tried. Im actually considering a parallel box with a Junk Trunk and Mu III.
If you haven't tried it, the MXR CMOS envelope filter is pretty tasty, too

Let's give it up for Pete!

JGmN3HBS9c98O8tN6f.webp

Fantastic graphic too- very fitting.

les-nessman-f5bf461f-6c9b-47e5-85b4-da21af9575d-resize-750.jpeg

What a sight, ladies and gentlemen, what a sight! Mentaltossflycoon's Meaty Balls finally dropped.
I really don't know how to describe it. It was like the Meaty Balls mounted a counter-attack.
It was almost as if they were... organized!

Back