SOLVED Delegate Squeal at 3.3mHz

krakenmeister

Hey folks, I built myself a delegate and experiencing a 3300hz squeal. This only occurs when the pedal is plugged into power, and it doesn't matter if the pedal is on effect or bypass, the squeal is still there.

Any ideas as to what this squeal might be from? Other than that, the pedal works perfectly. Squeal noticeable lowers /disappears when the tone knob is lowered

Any thoughts? I looked at the schematic and the only thing that makes sense to me is that one of the three transistors is bad? But I'm unsure of how to test this theory.

Possible feedback look?

1649353156960.png

Been soldering and putting together electronics since 2007.
IMG_5329.jpg

IMG_5330.jpg

Reactions: fig
Any parts substitutions?
Have you tried a different power source?
Looks like the pot bodies might be touching some of the leads on the adjacent pots. Dust covers are highly recommended.

@Chuck not a kit; sourced everything myself, I just mean I'm not sure if the charge pump is the correct one

Also adding insulation for the pots did not change the output of the 3.3mHz tone

IC2 pin 5 does not look like a good solder joint from the component side. It might be OK, but can't see it from the solder side because the SUSTAIN pot is obscuring the view. MAX1044 should work fine, unless it's counterfeit.

This is such a common problems with Charge Pumps. Remove it and see if the circuit still works.

Then, take a picture of the chip or write down the part number from the face of it, and let us know which supplier you got it from.

@daeg thank you 🙏 I’ll remove it and try and source another one! It’s a MAX1044 (left column from @PedalPCB’s pic)

Thanks for having look folks if it’s a bad charge pump then that’ll be good news. Anyone know where to source them? I got mine from digikey

Definitely try the circuit with the charge pump removed. It should work.

charge-pump-removed.png

My thinking out-loud on this:
  • VCC will be about 1/3rd, so you're losing a lot of headroom, but that probably won't be noticeable.
  • Q1 is wired as a phase splitter, and will always bias at 1/2 VCC.
  • Q2-Q3 should still be able to perform their gating duties.
  • D3 will lose a lot of brightness so only lower compression ratios will be available.
  • Nothing else will be affected.

Back