Delegate (Warden) Upgrades

Would a vactrol work here or do we specifically need a LED/LDR combo? I think I've got a few vactrols from Electronic Goldmine and am wondering if those would work here.

Good afternoon everybody. I want to thank D. Bones because I installed the Compressor with his modifications and it sounds wonderful. I finally found "THE" Compressor for my bass.

I would like to propose just one modification to the circuit: I connected another white LED in parallel to the LED that drives the photoresistor, a second LED that I mounted on the front panel of the pedal, and which visually gives me an estimate of the amount of compression applied.

Another thing I've been working on for a while and I'll share with you: I've developed a Linkwitz-Riley type crossover scheme, 24dB oct with variable cut-off frequency. I tested it with the oscilloscope just today and it works fine. It separates high and low frequencies into two channels, with cuts ranging from 100Hz to 1120Hz (selectable with a 4-position selector). The original diagram comes from magazine number 177 of "Nuova Elettronica", a magazine of electronic kits which unfortunately bankrupt in 2015. I took the diagram, which had a 15+15vdc power supply and I adapted it to work at +18vdc (obtainable with a simple tc1044). This circuit could be the basis for developing a multiband optical compressor, similar to FEA, using two Wardens modified according to D. Bones. I attach the diagram (tested and working).

Attachments

• FIltro 24dB -Linkwitz-Riley_2.jpg
    FIltro 24dB -Linkwitz-Riley_2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 12
The next phase, if someone wants to develop the project, would be to prepare a printed circuit (but I don't know how to do it, when I graduated they were still using acids to etch the tracks, I believe that now there are more efficient and precise techniques). The TC1044 part is missing from the diagram, but it can be easily copied from the Warden diagram.

I would like to propose just one modification to the circuit: I connected another white LED in parallel to the LED that drives the photoresistor, a second LED that I mounted on the front panel of the pedal, and which visually gives me an estimate of the amount of compression applied.
Series connection would be better because parallel LEDs won't share current equally. One may hog most of the current.

This circuit could be the basis for developing a multiband optical compressor, similar to FEA, using two Wardens modified according to D. Bones. I attach the diagram (tested and working).
Very clever!

...when I graduated they were still using acids to etch the tracks, I believe that now there are more efficient and precise techniques...
It's still done that way. Commercial PCB fab has become so economical, even in small quantities, that it's hard to justify doing it at home. I've seen PCBs etched using a CNC engraver, but it's slow and expensive.

Back