Digital Delay Recommendations?

Bio77

Always been a Boss DD-3, DD-7 (for the tap) user. I like clean long rhythmic delays. Thinking of looking at something different. Is there anything that is in the vein of the DDs but better I should check out? It would need to have tap tempo.

If you can find a one at a good price, the Providence Chrono Delay is one of the best, straight up, digital delays ever made. Tap tempo, 2 programmable presets, and metronome like accuracy. It’s not real fancy, and it doesn’t have stuff like modulation, just a straight up, somewhat programmable delay.

Last edited:
If it’s to buy and not build I think the Line 6 DL4 is pretty sweet. It sounds good, can do stereo, has no menu diving(but you should read the manual), is cheap and configurable. The down sides are that is pretty large(does have rear jacks), and that I found the reverbs hard to remember the commands to configure. It will probably be the only factory pedal I have in the near future.

I know you said you already use the DD-3 and the DD-7 but I can really recommend the DD-200. It's everything I could wish for in a delay. Tap tempo, 128 presets, 12 different delay types and a built in LED display that can either show you the time or the BPM.

Thanks peeps! I'm going to check these out.
I know you said you already use the DD-3 and the DD-7 but I can really recommend the DD-200. It's everything I could wish for in a delay. Tap tempo, 128 presets, 12 different delay types and a built in LED display that can either show you the time or the BPM.
DD-200 was my first instinct, but I read that hitting the tap tempo sometimes switches it to loop mode? That sounds like a nightmare in a live setting. Any experience with that?

It’s expensive, but the Free the Tone Future Factory is the first pedal that made me think of what a better rack system does. Interface is a bit weird, sort of like a jet cockpit, but it’s not hard to learn, and once you get it, it’s very WYSIWYG. True stereo, or you can set it up as a delay into a delay. I love my Deep Sea, and Meet Maude, but when I want clean repeats the FF is where I end up. There is also a very adjustable modulation that you can add.

Thanks peeps! I'm going to check these out.

DD-200 was my first instinct, but I read that hitting the tap tempo sometimes switches it to loop mode? That sounds like a nightmare in a live setting. Any experience with that?
Hm. I had the pedal for about two years and I don't recall this ever happening to me on accident. :unsure: I think there is a way to turn of the looper completely AFAIK.

If it's features and programmability you're chasing then the Strymon Timeline is hard to beat. I like the Boss DDs but their buffers mess with my sound too much. I use very few effects in my chain and it's very noticeable. It's a real shame because otherwise they are excellent.

If the tone and quality of sound is what you want I can recommend the UA Starlight. It might be the best sounding delay I have heard. Other than that the TC Flashbacks are great sounding delays - way better than their price would suggest.

For that matter, IMO the Timefactor still holds up awfully well and can be found for pretty dang cheap these days.
I always keep my eye on Reverb for reasonably priced ones. Sometimes people really take the biscuit on the price of them, but sometimes they can be found for ~150 euros.

Interesting. Have you played a Flashback? Seems like a lot of the features from the Nova ended up there but in a more mass market format.
I'm almost 100% certain they're using different generations of DSPs and algos. Very different sound either way. The nova kind of sounds like what I think of when I think digital delay, other than the DD3, of course.

+1 on the Nova. I use the smaller sibling of the Nova Delay, the Nova Repeater. It’s stripped down a bit, but has all the features you need, including tap tempo. If you want a diy, the Electric Druid Digidelay. Simple digital delay that can do up to 4sec max delay and has tap tempo. Note to the wise though, it has kind of a high noise floor

I would love to see a variation on the ED Digidelay with companding. I think it would improve it quite a lot. That and an FX loop, but that's basically impossible with the way the chip in it is set up as far as I can remember.

The Flashback is excellent. But it does have a specific “sound” that you may or may not like.
My mate got one back before everything increased in price. It's still good value for money, but back then it was almost a no brainer for someone who had no access to any delays and didn't know what they wanted. It sounds good and there are plenty of spaces for the toneprint stuff.

But personally I think if you need an app to access features of a pedal, both the app and communication api should be open source and the chip they use to handle it should be non proprietary. Because all businesses WILL eventually go out of business or stop supporting older products, it's just a matter of if that happens before you stop playing guitar or not hahaha. Or you could get a situation where you need the app to access most of a pedals features, like with that newer UAFX speaker pedal, which is an objectively horseshit proposition. If I wanted a product where I needed to look at a screen to play my guitar, I'd use a VST.

My mate got one back before everything increased in price. It's still good value for money, but back then it was almost a no brainer for someone who had no access to any delays and didn't know what they wanted. It sounds good and there are plenty of spaces for the toneprint stuff.

But personally I think if you need an app to access features of a pedal, both the app and communication api should be open source and the chip they use to handle it should be non proprietary. Because all businesses WILL eventually go out of business or stop supporting older products, it's just a matter of if that happens before you stop playing guitar or not hahaha. Or you could get a situation where you need the app to access most of a pedals features, like with that newer UAFX speaker pedal, which is an objectively horseshit proposition. If I wanted a product where I needed to look at a screen to play my guitar, I'd use a VST.
I agree with the sentiment here. I hate having to use software to get the most out of my hardware. But I have to say I have basically never used the tone print app or the programmable memory slots. I tried once some of the existing presets and that was that. My point is that the pedal is totally usable without tone print, at least for my needs.

Back