Dinovember Edition Dimetrodon Distortion - or - Creative Adaptive Enclosure Restoration...

Fingolfen

So... what do you do with an enclosure where the powder coat meets with a bit of misfortune after delivery? And no, we can't just fire all of the pachycephalosaurs - turns out they're really great with Excel spreadsheets. I discovered with a little creativity, some powder coat spray paint, and a little laser etching you can do something fun!

Dimetrodon Dinovember 2023 - 02.jpg

Fortunately the UV printing on this enclosure wasn't damaged, so I was able to mask it off for the rest of the reconditioning. For this build I ended up using different knobs and a different LED as I decided to do something seasonal for this build... more on that in a bit!

Dimetrodon Dinovember 2023 - 03.jpg

For this particular build I conducted a poll on my Instagram feed asking the readers to choose between a Triangle, '73 Ram's Head, and Sovtek/Green Russian tone stack. I picked these three as these are tone stacks that my new Dimetrodon Deluxe can't do. The vote overwhelmingly went for the Sovtek stack, so I went with it. If you remember in the Dimetrodon Deluxe article, the Sovtek stack isn't as deeply scooped and is a bit bassier than the '75 Ram's Head, and in testing it did give the pedal a bit darker character in spots on the tone control. I also found a way to use ribbon cable to attach the main and daughter boards together on this build. Granted, I have to cut the plastic webbing on the ribbon cable quite a bit to make it work, but it's still faster than cutting individual lengths of hook-up wire.

Dimetrodon Dinovember 2023 - 04.jpg

Adding to the fun, earlier this month I found out about something called Dinovember. It was started by authors Refe and Susan Tuma as a fun way to encourage their children's imagination. Basically every evening they would pose their children's' plastic dinosaurs doing fun activities as if they came to life over night... hummm... Given there is a fair amount of convergent evolutionary theme between Steggo Studios and Dinovember, I figured it would be fun to make a couple of Dinovember 2023 edition pedals.

Dimetrodon Dinovember 2023 - 05.jpg

Since I had the laser etcher out anyway, I wanted to test out the concept of etching the sides of an enclosure as opposed to just the back plate. I had to raise up the etcher, but as you can see from the photo above I was able to get it to work very well. It gives the pedal a sort of an Abbey Road vibe.

So what started out as a project to fix a damaged enclosure, turned into something a lot more fun. I really love how the whole pedal came together, and I'm really liking the slightly different tone stack for paired with the pedal as well. I may have to make up one for myself. Of course, next I may have to try and figure out how to create a Dimetrodon with all six of the tone stacks I know of (or at least 4-5), but that's for far out in the future. I have some "other ideas" for pedals I need to breadboard and get made up - including one where I'm teaming up with another builder on something fun!

Original blog article: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/11/special-dinovember-2023-edition.html

Last edited:
Etching the sides was a lot of fun. The laser etcher I'm using has leg extensions so you can etch larger objects and round objects like a stainless thermos. I ended up using one set of those. The challenge is leveling the etch surface - I ended up using some plastic shims and locks that fit into my laser etch bed (it's one of those metal honeycombs that includes some plastic push pins you can use as shims or to hold down the piece being etched).

Back