DIY Footswitch with Red/Green LED faint LED

Locrian99

I am making a footswitch for an amp. Goes from channel 1 to channel 2 and will also turn the tremolo on and off (its for a peavey delta 15). I wanted to use bi color led's green being normal or off, red being on. They are working as I have it wired but one is way fainter than the other. Especially if one is red and one is green the green is basically not visible and the red is bright. I'm sure I just wired this wrong. DIYLC doesnt allow for a bicolor common cathode LED so I just noted two wires going to the anode pretender there's two of them :)

Only thing I kind of saw from trying to see online was giving each led its own clr?

And after making this I realized I didn't do it that way. The way this is done is probably the better way. I wired mine from the DC Jack to 3pdt #1 and then that connected to 3PDT #2 which then went to the sleeve. As is shown in the first layout.

Anyways anyone see what I did wrong here? I just want two equally bright leds. Red when switched on green when switched off.

LED footswitch2.png

LED footswitch.png

Solution
You need a separate series resistor for each half of the bicolor LED. Treat it as if it's two separate LEDS basically, and use whatever resitor values make both colors equally bright.
I find that the green LEDs I use need less resistance than their red counterparts. To get more or less equal brightness at 9V, I use 2k2 for green and 4k7 for red. So it might make sense to wire these accordingly. YMMV.

I find that the green LEDs I use need less resistance than their red counterparts. To get more or less equal brightness at 9V, I use 2k2 for green and 4k7 for red. So it might make sense to wire these accordingly. YMMV.
From what it’s doing I think I need some way to isolate the two diodes from
Each other. Seems one ends up pulling all the current. Which makes me wonder if I run a clr between the power switch and the footswitches if that’s the answer. I’ll have to try that on a breadboard.

You need a separate series resistor for each half of the bicolor LED. Treat it as if it's two separate LEDS basically, and use whatever resitor values make both colors equally bright.

Solution
Back