DEMO DMD-2 - Hydra - Deflector FV1 Multi

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I'm not really into time and space based circuits, but I had these lying around as backups for commissions, so figured I'd shove them all in a compact 1590DD.

With the exception of the Clock Module added to the Hydra, these are all built according to the screen prints / build docs. No fancy expression inputs, switching, or even effects loops. But they do all have the Intelligent Relay bypass boards.

As stated in the intro, I'm really not a huge fan of these types of effects, but these all do sound damned good alone and in various combinations.

The DMD-2 is a fancy note repeater with a wiggle engine. Can't really compare this with anything else I've played or built, except maybe the Dark Rift and Magnetron, but I feel like while they're in the same family, they're their own people. Super clean repeats, and endless feedback if those are your jam. Personally, I think I prefer the Dark Rift for its slight scuzziness. The LFO sounds great no matter the positions of the knobs, but it doesn't get quite wacky enough for me. Like if I have to hear my playing immediately after I just played it, I wanna also get seasick, ya know?
But, in seriousness, if you're after a pristine digital delay with friendly modulation, this seems like it'd fit the bill

The Hydra is like having a slightly warped and dirty reel of magnetic tape without any of the hassle of owning the real thing. I actually quite like this one, though it is mostly a subtle affair. It doesn't seem to be capable of self oscillation, but it can get loud and rowdy. Incredibly warm and fat repeats on this one, with wonderful interactivity between the Speed, Swell, and Age knobs in conjunction with the head selector toggles. If this was capable of a bit more detuned warp simulating and dirt, I think I'd love this one.

The Deflector makes it sound like your in the world's largest tiled restroom. I don't really know what to say about it, as I'm not drawn to huge reverbs at all- I like a springy slapback on occasion, but this bypasses that and goes straight for the cavernous deeps. It can be dialed down for subtlety, but it seems like it was designed for claustrophobia-inducing washes of auditory reflections. Probably good for shoegaze or emulating a Yanni concert, but that's just not my bag

Combined, I can see these making for some amazing score-style sounds. I'll try to get some pitch shifting and PLL combo demos going soon

Super easy builds, even with the SMD FV1s, and as always, wonderfully laid out

orca-image-1686791414.jpeg received_564148259022308.jpeg

Demos on the long side because the circuits kept stretching out my notes

Hydra is my favorite diy delay by far. My eyes cross a little looking at all them knobs on the top of that thing.
Of this trio, it's definitely my favorite. I just wish the detuning was a bit more prominent, similar to that found in the LoFi Machine algo..

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered making the Head toggles all footswitches :ROFLMAO:.... But too many knobs

Awesome demo!

@Cybercow just posted a sweet looking deflector build, and it sent me looking for a demo. Now I’m interested in the DMD too.

For a guy who says he’s not into time and space stuff you built a pretty epic rig for it.

just insanity in the best way! Absolutely killer build! I think the hydra is one of the best diy delays out there.

Back