DOD Classic Tube FX53 MOD

Jiberjew

Hey! So, I had a crappy old DOD classic tube laying around. I took out the 2 clipping diodes (at least that’s what I believe they were as I’m a rookie still learning) and added sockets and red LED’s. If anyone is interested, I pulled out the top left diodes next to the POT’s. This added a lot of warmth to this once hated crappy pedal. It might be in my head, but so far it does sound a lot better. Is there any other MOD’s anyone can recommend before I pack it away for good, or give it away to someone on this forum?? Thanks in advance, can’t wait to hear what everyone has to say. (And yes, I’m waiting for the “why would you even mess with this pedal” comments haha)

Hey! So, I had a crappy old DOD classic tube laying around. I took out the 2 clipping diodes (at least that’s what I believe they were as I’m a rookie still learning) and added sockets and red LED’s. If anyone is interested, I pulled out the top left diodes next to the POT’s. This added a lot of warmth to this once hated crappy pedal. It might be in my head, but so far it does sound a lot better. Is there any other MOD’s anyone can recommend before I pack it away for good, or give it away to someone on this forum?? Thanks in advance, can’t wait to hear what everyone has to say. (And yes, I’m waiting for the “why would you even mess with this pedal” comments haha)

Mark Hammer modded one here: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=118149.0

Looks like a simple tone stack cap change and clipper change. Probably don't need much to make it the way you want it.

Looks like it has a few sets of diodes in it
1000004245.gif

If you swapped the hard clippers, if may not even be hitting the diodes much, effectively turning it into a soft clip only plus whatever the back to back diodes to the get are considered.

Mark Hammer modded one here: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=118149.0

Looks like a simple tone stack cap change and clipper change. Probably don't need much to make it the way you want it.
Nice! Looks like I was on the right path. I changed out the same diodes as Mark Hammer. I think I will try the same MOD he did with the CAPs. See how it sounds after that. I also changed out the DC jack to one that makes sense. That 3.5mm jack doesn’t work for me haha. Thanks for sharing that thread!

Nice! Looks like I was on the right path. I changed out the same diodes as Mark Hammer. I think I will try the same MOD he did with the CAPs. See how it sounds after that. I also changed out the DC jack to one that makes sense. That 3.5mm jack doesn’t work for me haha. Thanks for sharing that thread!
No problem. I was just looking for a schematic to see what was going on, and the thread showed up. Good luck

Back