SOLVED Drive 55 low output

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldacid

I put together this Drive 55 and as far as I can tell, it's working properly (maybe some low end missing) but the output is significantly lower than the input volume of the guitar. Here's what I suspect and wondering if anyone can confirm: I used SMD 4393s for Q1-Q4, but stupidly I only ordered 5 and one of these tiny suckers got away from me, bounced away onto the floor never to be seen again.

So for Q5 I used 2N4393 (TO-18) thinking yeah sure it's all the same. But probing around it seems like everything up until Q5 is normal. So maybe I'm answering my own question here, but wondering if anyone with more experience would know if the TO-18 is screwing things up? After reading Chuck D. Bones' thread about JFETS being little jerks I'm not confident mixing them was a good idea.

Here's a pic, only the in/out jacks are fastened to the enclosure in the photo.

Attachments

• drive 55-2.jpg
    drive 55-2.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 14
The lowest voltage I can get is 5.8v on Q2 and Q4 drains, trimmers all the way counter clockwise. I should have mentioned that by "probing" I was using an audio probe.

The lowest voltage I can get is 5.8v on Q2 and Q4 drains, trimmers all the way counter clockwise. I should have mentioned that by "probing" I was using an audio probe.
The trimmers are connected to Q1 & Q3.
Try playing a chord & adjust Trimmers til they at the sweet spot ie most audible.

Have you verified the pinout for Q5?

The pads on the PCB are DSG from left to right.
2n4393-pinout.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back