Dunn LXV - Peavey Bandit 65 preamp/EQ

Fuzzonaut

There's a bit of a story to this pedal: a few weeks ago, I was hanging out with the other band of our practice room, drinking beer and talking pedals. The drummer of that band flew in from Finland and when we were discussing preamps he mentioned one of his other bands, back in Finland, and the guitarists that both use Peavey Bandit Amps, loving the sound, but not beeing too happy about size and weight when touring. More as a joke, I said that there must be some nerd out there who made a PCB to put that amp in a box ....
The next day, after some googling, I found this Dunn PCB, claiming that it is essentially the preamp section of the Bandit 65, silver stripe, amp ("classic version"). Mr Dunn mentioned NE Williams (Dunwich Amps) and J. Snyder (Electronic Audio Experiments) as engenneering support and Kurt Balou for testing, so I thought that considering all this name dropping, it might actually be worth building.

Well, here it is, it's called Peavey King, because that's also the nickname of the guitar player it's for. The pedal will be tested on their upcoming tour. If it fits the bill, I'll have to build at least one more ....

I tested it on bass and it also sounds pretty cool with real strings.

bandit.jpeg
bandit-g.jpeg

Back