Easy Vibe: How Good Can We Make It?

Big Monk

Been interested lately in playing with the Easy Vibe:

EasyVibe.jpeg

I like the idea of the Easy Vibe. It’s a simpler PCB than an LDR/Bulb Univibe and seems easy to dial in.

I’ve heard that green LEDs have light signature for most LDRs and it seems like a wider range of LDRs could be adapted.

There is also the R.G. Keen Ramp LFO as well:

IMG_0882.jpeg

Let’s discuss….

I’ve always seen the LED/LDR optocouplers. Has somebody tried a phototransistor optocoupler, like the 4N25?
I see those readily available and always wondered if they can be used for the same purpose…

Last edited:
I've got a Wilson Effects Haze Drive. I think it's based on the Easy Vibe--I don't know if it's straight copy of Hollis's circuit or if it's been tweaked.
If you're interested I can crack it open and get a picture.

I've got a Wilson Effects Haze Drive. I think it's based on the Easy Vibe--I don't know if it's straight copy of Hollis's circuit or if it's been tweaked.
If you're interested I can crack it open and get a picture.

That would be awesome.

I’ve always seen the LED/LDR optocouplers. Has somebody tried a phototransistor optocoupler, like the 4N25?
I see those readily available and always wondered if they can be used for the same purpose…

The main phototransistor that I see getting used in place of LDRs in audio stuff are the H11F(X)M optofets, which are available for $3/pop now but have had some availability issues in the past. Ray Ring has some cool designs using them, including some compressors. Seems like using 4 would start to get complicated (and not to mention expensive). Probably the easiest implementation would be with a quad VCF like the as3320 or a quad VCA like the 2164. Ex https://www.njohnson.co.uk/index.php?menu=2&submenu=0&subsubmenu=3 and then staggering to match a unvibe

IMG_20230819_134643413_HDR.jpg

The 4 LDRs are shrinkwrapped with LEDs.

The ICs are TL072. The big electrolytics are 470uF. The short one is 100uF and the skinny one is 1u.
The white box cap is 1n.

The 3 poly caps are 153, 224, and 471 (15n, 220n, and 470pf). The blue box one is 4n7.

I'm not really sure what that silver thing that looks kind of like a box cap is. The lettering on it says "10Q HT".

Overall, it looks close to stock.

Last edited:
re silver thing — what came to my mind was a crystal.

A crystal in a vibe? Ridonkulus!

I searched the Net for "10Q HT" with various other added search terms such as "through-hole" , "pin-spacing" , and others and came up with nada.

Maybe it's a McGuffin.

Any new info on what it might be?

Back