Effects Layout Lilliput (Smallsound/Bigsound Mini)

scheffehcs

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I finished this board back in February or March, but life got in the way and I’m just getting back into pedal building. So I boxed this one up today and here it is.

At one point the SSBS Mini might have been my favorite dirt box. I guess my ears have changed since then - I still dig it, but while the pedal really shines in higher gain territory, it sounds just ok to me for low gain. The bias knob is fun. Love getting gnarly gated lead tones. I still have my SSBS and when I A/B it with this one, it sounds pretty darn close. I guess I can sell that one now (they are probably pretty pricey since the owner of SSBS has been radio silent for awhile now).

This is the first time I biased JFETs and it was pretty painless. The trim pots I had were the wrong size, but I managed to squeeze them in there. This was also my first board from Effects Layout. Good marks all around, fun build, fun pedal.

IMG_7531.jpeg
IMG_7532.jpeg
IMG_7533.jpeg

Nice build! Recently finished one of these myself; is the bias knob supposed to work opposite the production ssbs mini? All my 'clean' drive sounds are on the left/CCW side of the bias knob, and scratchy-crackly-gated sounds on the right/CW side. Whereas the demos I've seen of the real thing are the other way around.

Still sounds good and is super fun!

Nice build! Recently finished one of these myself; is the bias knob supposed to work opposite the production ssbs mini? All my 'clean' drive sounds are on the left/CCW side of the bias knob, and scratchy-crackly-gated sounds on the right/CW side. Whereas the demos I've seen of the real thing are the other way around.

Still sounds good and is super fun!
On the EffectsLayouts board, the bias knob works backward from the original pedal, and actually all of the controls are mirrored from the original - bass and gain are on the right, volume and treble are on the left. Interesting choice.

Back