[Effects Layouts] Sonorus [ZION] & Horde Howler [FIEND] double feature!

jessenator

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Another 2023 catch-up build report

These are two of four Effects Layouts builds done this year, and since they are sort of weirdly mirrored, not-really-yin-yang sorta thing, I figured I'd post them together. Those who know me know I have an affinity for a particular game series, and one title holds a special place in my heart.

q1BSpHc.jpg

Part I

The character Joshua Graham is an interesting one. He's someone that, on a few levels, I can identify with. Others, like being the legate of Caesar's Legion and the bloody baggage that goes with that title, I emphatically do not. His story is an interesting one, which I won't deep dive into here. Suffice it to say that after his fall from grace, a prodigal return to family, and then loss of most of that family (and home)—all because of his past deeds—he welcomed the space of former Zion National Park. A place away from the brutality of the post-nuclear wasteland, miraculously cleansed from the atomic dusting.

w6pt79k.jpg

I was actually able to go to Zion National Park years before it became the sadly overcrowded destination it is. It's still amazingly beautiful, and I'd recommend a visit; just be prepared for crowds. Matter of fact, we have like FIVE national parks in my state… Bryce is a wonderful view, but it's by far the smallest. Anyhow, these days I prefer to get away to Goblin Valley State Park, but I don't know how calming "goblin" really is in this context ;D Alternatively, I could have called it Hoodoo, after the earth formations there. Beautiful spot…

9HaZbkvl.jpg
7vNRHBbl.jpg

I digress…

I chose Effects Layouts Sonorus reverb board for this one. I like it a lot since my Pretender amp head doesn't have a 'verb tank in it, and most digital reverbs don't sit right with me. I've actually had this one build for a while now, and waited until I had enough working builds to put in an order of enclosures.

Here's pt II: Effects Layouts Horde Howler / FIEND

When I got to building this, I was thinking about how similar Joshua Graham and Driver Nephi are from an upbringing perspective. Both New Canaanites, both (probably) sent out to serve and preach, and both caught up in the worst of the Wasteland in the process. Both walked a path to ruin and darkness and, sadly, only one returned to the light (mostly…).

jFmyXUI.jpg

dHis4eu.jpg

YscZsDq.jpg

Inspired by @Guardians of the analog , I built it in the fashion of the SD-1. Opted for that circuit first with possibly doing another build down the road. I had heard shootouts between TS variants and the SD-1 sounded a touch more versatile. I really have to shout out Storyboardist here for this board: making it in a way that it's easy to build-to-order, so to speak.

I wanted to have it distressed to a degree, but felt if I was paying for a nice UV print, I'll let the art do the talking there. Unlike the ZION pedal with its full top coverage of varnish, the FIEND has its varnish gloss layer following the color layer with its jagged edges.

vfdH6xm.png

The knobs, though, is where I could have a lot of fun. Haven't gotten out the paint in a while, so it was fun to get dirty. The knobs in the photos are all full CCW, but the intentionally skewed ones could be frustrating, so I may put them back to normal. The black knob took a chisel, a hammer, yella spray paint, a jar full of screws and sand paper. It was fun :) The top-left knob came from some bit of vintage electronics I had hoarded a long time ago, thinking I would use, but they were knurled/splined. Thankfully(?) Tayda was out of smooth shaft pots in one value I needed, so I just made them all splined, and snugged down the set screws on the other two.

Thank you for visiting…
z5BsyuUl.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.

thumb:

q1BSpHct.jpg

Last edited:
Top notch builds and build report.

These types of builds and the thought that goes into them and attention to details are what I would like to strive for in my own builds.

Love having such depth of insight into your process, thanks for that.

May we see a gut-shot of the Zion? Ah, I see it now in the IMGUR link. (y)

Thanks, y'all! Makes my days to see the reactions and comments. GotA has definitely been the major inspiration for going all out with the presentation and always a benchmark for build quality. Not to mention having a theme, which these two will hopefully be the trend for mine (save a few that have been in development since a few years ago…)

And since my uni degree was in graphic design, I figured I should get some use out of it (since my career took a tangent).

Ah, I see it now in the IMGUR link.
Since XenForo has some nice third-party implementations, I like to use the slideshow/gallery view. I think I h*cked up and didn't have the FIEND in a single imgur gallery and didn't bother rectifying 😅

Back