SOLVED El-Crispo (El-Sol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fig

Village Idiot
Sharing experiences is what DIY is all about, so I thought I'd share my troubles with my El-Sol.

Population went well, with one exception. I mistakenly soldered the board power lead to the battery lug of the DC adapter. This was discovered and corrected during the visual prior to live testing.

I typically use a 400Hz sine wave + oscilloscope + audio probe to initially test the circuit before even looking at a guitar. I guess I just can't stand for that first chord to bomb, ya know?

This is the good part...so I check the cold circuit and all seems as it should. I throw 9v at it, and the scope shows a waveform, but not clipped at all. The audio probe has sound, but nothing like 2-386s should sound....it was more like El-Beano. Power down.

Checked the schematic...oops, no schematic. No problem, it's fairly self-explanatory, even for me. My gut said bad chip, and that turned out to be correct, using a Ruby-type breadboard. Unfortunately, it had burned the trace between pin 6 and the 5817. Thus, the title. I may try to jump the scorched path at some point just for a giggle.

I have another board, so I won't let it turn today into an El-Bummer !

Here's a shot of the trace.

Oh, and the chip had started melting my breadboard before I pulled the current. No visible damage or defects on the chip (except possibly some burnt skin and plastic from the breadboard and my finger...yeah I had to touch it).

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 9.23.47 AM.png

Wow! Crazy.
I still see that board somewhere in a junk box once in awhile and say...man I should fix that........nahhh! The 2nd build went smoothly and the pedal (can be) insanely loud if you dare turn the knob past 2. Also as a bonus, if I turn the volume to 0, and dime my guitar (or visa-versa...it was foggy that day) I can pup the nearby FM station through the downstream effect chain...if the planets align again I'll capture this...fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back