Electric Druid Filter Fx

Mentaltossflycoon

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I've long had a hankering for an expression controlled lpf. This here very much fills that void and so much more. I kind of expected to mostly use this in expression mode. I have used the subpar lpf on my e.h. hog a lot and the filter fx is much smoother. The sweep is more natural however with the filter wide open it is still a pretty drastic tonal change from the bypass tone so I wouldn't consider this an "always on" or utility lpf, or hpf for that matter. Something like a broughton would be the way to go there. This is a fun time filter for making the fun sounds. The waveforms are all great, including the bleep bleep boop boops. I didn't think I needed a sawtooth lpf but yep, now I do.

I only have 2 complaints with the design: side jacks and that obvious tonal shift when turned on i just mentioned, which I only point out because it's the only way in which the eh hog lpf is "better" being a bit more subtle when engaged.

So you crank down the depth to use the expression. If I end up using this regularly in lfo mode, I'll probably put a 2knobjob on the depth pot. I left room for another footswitch if it comes to that. It'll be way too crowded but I'm a pedalboard ballerina. Might put the rate pot on an expression jack too.... tap tempo is totally unnecessary for me but it makes me feel fancy.

Screenshot_20221231_224741.jpg Screenshot_20221231_224727.jpg

As per always, I couldn't let the side jacks happen if I could help it so I flipped it sideways, squareplug ftw! This'll be backrow so the cabling won't be a problem and can hang down a bit.
Screenshot_20221231_155840.jpg Screenshot_20221231_155856.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning something almost identical to your layout with the top jacks, but I was gonna make the tap an external input.
Been holding off because I'm not a huge fan of LFO driven filters (and I'm out of VTL5C3 :rolleyes: )

I bet you'll dig this. Throw some of that parasit nastiness in front. I kind of got lost using my meatbox into my array of dirts with it. The volume difference with a big full synthy signal in BP or HP gives an interesting thump that i wasn't expecting to like. I could see myself eventually making a bigger "deluxe" version with the cv and other expression jacks. No way I'm getting another switching trs up in there unless it sticks out the front or face.

I'm a pedalboard ballerina.

You have to put that in your signature! 😹

Awesome build. BRAVO on the top jacks!

I don't have this PCB yet, but I've already been planning how to make it all Top Jacks and your 2knobjob Idea is a good'n, so I'll steal that. Naturally I'll need something a bit bigger than a 1590BB.

Is that a polished one from Small Cube Synth Bear?

Yep, small bear. I always give these an extra buff down. While they always look pretty good out of the plastic, there's always a few scratches but they mostly clean up with steel wool. There's still some deeper scratches here and there but I'm pretty happy with it. Has me thinking about polishing one all the way myself.

I meant to give @Betty Wont a shoutout. I was barely considering this project until you mentioned that you liked this one. Pretty sure it was you.... it's now been a while. I forget when or where, but I kind of remember who so thanks. It seemed a little expensive requiring 2 vactrols but I consider this a better use of those than any envelope filters I've put them in.

Back