DEMO Electric MXR-tress (MadBean Collosalus 2015)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I'm still trying to find a flanger that I gel with enough to keep, and this is my latest stop- MadBean's take on the MXR M-117 Flanger.

I kept all the board values as prescribed in the build doc, with the exception of the pair of back to back 15uf electrolytics in the LFO. I had an MLCC on hand that measured just above 7.5u, so I popped that in there.
The other mods are just additions-
  1. The toggle throws a 22pf in parallel with C22 (47p) to increase the clock time to bring it up to around 69p
  2. The seconds footswitch severs lug 3 of the Width pot to kill to LFO, and activates a second set of Manual and Regen pots for the fixed filter mode
I haven't measured the clock, I just tuned it by ear until I was able to get a hint of slap back through to a thick, liquidy flange. I might adjust it a hair, but I'm pretty happy with the range of sounds

Overall, I'm really digging the sounds of this. It's got its own thing going on compared to the last few flangers I built, and except for the Flintlock / A/DA, it might be my favorite. It's got a huge range, but doesn't overwhelm the guitar or quite break into full on madness, and it's incredibly easy to dial in a good sound. I'm especially fond of the fixed filter tones, they're just so lush and clear compared to others I've recently done

When the shop is back up, I'm definitely going to be snagging one of the updated boards

It's 11 minutes, but I tried to show a decent amount of its range
1000025180.jpg 1000025172.jpg

Still deciding what I wanna do for labels, but I'll update the thread once I do

Back