DEMO Electrovibe (Shin-Ei Univibe)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Having built the "Electrovibe Mini" version of this pedal, I decided to build the full version. I wasn't quite sure what was missing from the full to the mini but there's really not much. The full size version has the second speed control allow you to set 2 speeds and access the second speed via a footswitch.

But then, I'm a sucker for any faceplate pedal @Robert makes available so I had to build it:)

The only mod I did was the @Big Monk unity gain mod, which I also did on my mini build. Very useful mod.

Out of all the vibes I've built, the Electrovibe is still my favorite.

For some reason, setting the bias and gain on this one took a lot longer than on the Mini and somehow it sounds different.
The Mini has a bit more richness to the "swirling" and also a slightly different pattern. It could be a biasing issue but I got them pretty close.
I still prefer the sound of the Mini to the full size.

I recorded a short video clip showing what I mean. It kinda feels like the Mini has more of an asymmetrical swoosh where the full sounds a bit more rhythmically symmetrical. Not sure I'm using the right words here to describe it but the mini sounds more "Univibey" to my ears.

Anyway, it's a super busy build with lots of components. Wiped me out of 2N5088's and I didn't have enough 1uf electrolytic caps so I used tantalums instead.
I usually save the tantalums for where space is a concern.

Even though it was a busy build, it's beautifully laid out and the build itself when pretty smooth and relatively quickly. I started it after dinner last night and buttoned it up this morning.

IMG_4412.JPG

IMG_4410.JPG

Excuse the clipping in the audio of the demo, for some reason the gain was way up when I was mixing down the audio I didn't notice until after the video rendered.

Having built the "Electrovibe Mini" version of this pedal, I decided to build the full version. I wasn't quite sure what was missing from the full to the mini but there's really not much. The full size version has the second speed control allow you to set 2 speeds and access the second speed via a footswitch.

But then, I'm a sucker for any faceplate pedal @Robert makes available so I had to build it:)

The only mod I did was the @Big Monk unity gain mod, which I also did on my mini build. Very useful mod.

Out of all the vibes I've built, the Electrovibe is still my favorite.

For some reason, setting the bias and gain on this one took a lot longer than on the Mini and somehow it sounds different.
The Mini has a bit more richness to the "swirling" and also a slightly different pattern. It could be a biasing issue but I got them pretty close.
I still prefer the sound of the Mini to the full size.

I recorded a short video clip showing what I mean. It kinda feels like the Mini has more of an asymmetrical swoosh where the full sounds a bit more rhythmically symmetrical. Not sure I'm using the right words here to describe it but the mini sounds more "Univibey" to my ears.

Anyway, it's a super busy build with lots of components. Wiped me out of 2N5088's and I didn't have enough 1uf electrolytic caps so I used tantalums instead.
I usually save the tantalums for where space is a concern.

Even though it was a busy build, it's beautifully laid out and the build itself when pretty smooth and relatively quickly. I started it after dinner last night and buttoned it up this morning.

View attachment 44476

View attachment 44477

Excuse the clipping in the audio of the demo, for some reason the gain was way up when I was mixing down the audio I didn't notice until after the video rendered.

Robert, Michael needs more Faceplates!
The rate that he pumps these Pedals out has Graphics out of the equation!!!

So much of my backlog doesn't get built because Michael's done a great job on a demo.. I can play vicariously through him!

Then again, other stuff gets bumped up because of his demos.. I hope he gets an influencer discount!

I fear Michael will show up at my door and finish and demo my pedals for me if I don't haul ass.
Rumour has it that Robert has a live dashboard, showing which pedals Michael has bought and finished so he knows how much breathing space he has for new PCBs. If you ever see a new release in the middle of the night, it's because he got paged that Michael is 95% through the catalogue..

Rumour has it that Robert has a live dashboard, showing which pedals Michael has bought and finished so he knows how much breathing space he has for new PCBs. If you ever see a new release in the middle of the night, it's because he got paged that Michael is 95% through the catalogue..
So it's not like supply chains haven't recovered since Covid, it's Micheal hogging all the components

I have an EXH good vibes but I'm really tempted to build this pedal.

Would I essentially be building the same pedal as my good vibes if I build this? They sure sound similar.

Please someone convince me not to spend more money on guitar pedals.

Would I essentially be building the same pedal as my good vibes if I build this? They sure sound similar.

Tell you what, if you build the Electrovibe you won't be tempted to buy a Sabbadius

Pretty sure when @Big Monk was first building the electrovibe he was A/Bing it against his good vibes. I’m sure his thoughts are somewhere written down here.

They sound much different. The Good Vibes is brighter overall and has way more range on both Speed and Intensity but never quite achieves that chewy, undulating sweep of a true Bulb/LDR Vibe.
Totally agree on the chewiness. My EV is just awesome. Did some tweaking ost might actually to try to balance chorus and vibe settings and think I found a pretty great spot.

Totally agree on the chewiness. My EV is just awesome. Did some tweaking ost might actually to try to balance chorus and vibe settings and think I found a pretty great spot.

I stopped trying to do that. Good Univibe sounds yield poor Vibrato sounds and vice versa.

There are good spots but I either ignore the Vibrato altogether or increase the Univibe speed such that you get faux vibrato with the dial up.

I stopped trying to do that. Good Univibe sounds yield poor Vibrato sounds and vice versa.

There are good spots but I either ignore the Vibrato altogether or increase the Univibe speed such that you get faux vibrato with the dial up.
Yeah and I can understand why you’d stop messing with it. It’s not a perfect setting by any means. I find myself using it for the vibrato more often and the speed does play a big factor.

I really should just use it for univibe and find something else for vibrato but I actually did the sound of the base tone in vibrato mode a lot

They sound much different. The Good Vibes is brighter overall and has way more range on both Speed and Intensity but never quite achieves that chewy, undulating sweep of a true Bulb/LDR Vibe.
Well you convinced me to build the electro vibe now. Thanks!

Back