EXTREMELY Loud Gerkin Fuzz

I just got through building the Gerkin fuzz and it is LOUD!!! Like, I can barely put any gain on the Loudness pot and it is exerting entirely too much volume.

I also have the Crunch (compression) set to about 11 o'clock. Sustain is at about 2 o'clock while the Filter and Scoop are almost at dead 12 o'clock. The internal trim pots are at about 1/2.

What can I do to maintain that nice low-end fuzz but make it to where I have more control of the output? Do I just need to crank back the Clip pot on the inside or is there something else that I am not thinking of?

Sorry ahead of time, I don't really know that much about how actual circuits works other than what you are taught in high school physics :p LOL

This is also my first pedal build and I am quite happy it even works! Though next time, I am going to get the proper DC jack so I don't have to make a custom reversing polarity jack (yeah, that was time consuming). Any tips/tricks are much appreciated! Thanks

So, I should've known what the Way Huge does before even posting this... LOL

Nonetheless, is there anything that can be done via the pots (internal or external) that can decrease the headroom on the Loudness? If not, I think I have dialed in a decent tone I like, but I am sure I will play around with it more.

Try a log taper pot for Loudness (A100K), that should give you a bit more control over the volume at the low end of the sweep.

You could increase the value of R26 but that really shouldn't be necessary.

Back