Finally a Dinosaur Themed Klon Clone!

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water... Ummm.. no, that's not right...

A long time ago, in a galaxy far... no, that's definitely not right...

As promised in my last Tone Geek Mini-taur build, that was the last one before I finally got a fun, dinosaur themed, enclosure. Well, with a bit of help from my lovely wife, Steggo finally has the definitive dinosaur-based Klon clone!

Tone Geek Minitaur - Kloned Centrosaurus - 01.jpg

At this point I've populated thee PCBs. I'd hoped to get all of them boxed up, but sadly discovered I was woefully short dual-gang 100KB potentiometers. The mix of carbon film and metal film resistors, along with the use of metal film, tantalum, and electrolytic capacitors follows the layout recommended for the Ceriatone Centura (of which I'd just finished one last week). I'm ultimately planning on adding more bipolar capacitors to the builds, but these only have a couple in the 1uF slots.

Tone Geek Minitaur - Kloned Centrosaurus - 02.jpg

The Mini-taur is essentially a 1:1 shrink of the original Klon Centaur circuit, which uses 2PDT footswitches - allowing me to have a unique parts set for this build. The wiring is also tight - maybe a little too tight with pads for the in, out, +9V, and ground wires that are very close to other components, but it does allow for very minimal use of hook-up wire. You just have to be careful with your soldering.

Of course, I promised a "fun new dino-themed enclosure" - so here it is! The Kloned Centrosaurus features original artwork by my lovely wife done in the style of medieval marginalia (the same style used for the Dimetrodon Distortion and the Corythosaurus Chorus). There is also a bit of licensed edited clip art as well, but her art is the focal point.

Tone Geek Minitaur - Kloned Centrosaurus - 03.jpg

In terms of the sound - well, it's a Tone Geek Mini-Taur set up just like a Ceriatone Centura. I put the two in series and went from one to the other and I honestly could not hear the difference between the two of them... which is great. As much as I love my Centura, it does tend to take up a fair amount of space!

More at the blog (including some background on the Centrosaurus as well as my wife's write up on the background behind her art!): https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-official-steggo-klon-clone-kloned.html

Back