Firebox - tube power amp emulator

Now I'm really wanting the picnic box this is turning in to, I just found a supplier of a smaller board for a 10watt that says "The input signal can come from a guitar preamp or your favorite mp3 player. what are your suggestions for a DI o vigilant 1? I haven't even considered gigging for 20+ years and I spent more time as the roadie/tech for the guys who COULD play other's songs. Since all I can fling out is 30-90 second loop, I rather record for a friend's animation works.

Now I'm really wanting the picnic box this is turning in to, I just found a supplier of a smaller board for a 10watt that says "The input signal can come from a guitar preamp or your favorite mp3 player. what are your suggestions for a DI o vigilant 1? I haven't even considered gigging for 20+ years and I spent more time as the roadie/tech for the guys who COULD play other's songs. Since all I can fling out is 30-90 second loop, I rather record for a friend's animation works.
MY favorite DI is obviously a tube DI and obviously it's one I made myself :p I use Lightning Boy Audio transformers (made in New York) and I love the sound of them. In an A/B test against a Jensen (I built a preamp with both and a toggle switch to go between the two) I found I prefer the Lightning Boy; it just has a little extra "something". You can buy the transformers individually from him, or you can buy them as a finished DI box which he calls T.I. for "thicker injection". Super nice dude, super cool to work with, I'm not affiliated in any way other than I buy transformers from him just about every month. https://www.lightningboyaudio.com/store/p68/thicker_injection_box.html

when do we get to see a schematic?
It's nothing mindblowing, basically a simple tube preamp into an AX84 Firefly power section with a dummy load on the output transformer secondary. I have the dummy load on a switch so I can switch it off and run a speaker just for fun, but the main intention is to use it with the dummy load.

The parallel 47n coupling caps on the tube are because JLC ran out of my 100nF high voltage caps, so this is the closest I can get without soldering things myself :p

I have these boards in now, but I've been swamped and haven't had a chance to put one together yet.

Capture.JPG

Thanks!

You could take out 1/2 of those 47nF caps and it would sound the same.

How high the voltage? It's like "How High the Moon" only without all of the overdubs.

it's an SMD layout, not quite the same as just running some clipped leads/wires for jumpers...
Does look like a plan that CAN be converted to through hole and figure out which caps to cut for a personal build. How big was the 3 board planned box going to be?

It's nothing mindblowing, basically a simple tube preamp into an AX84 Firefly power section with a dummy load on the output transformer secondary. I have the dummy load on a switch so I can switch it off and run a speaker just for fun, but the main intention is to use it with the dummy load.

The parallel 47n coupling caps on the tube are because JLC ran out of my 100nF high voltage caps, so this is the closest I can get without soldering things myself :p

I have these boards in now, but I've been swamped and haven't had a chance to put one together yet.

View attachment 30170

What output transformer are you using? I worked on a similar design for an amp maker several years ago and we went with Cinemag, which were surprisingly inexpensive for a custom wind. I think I still have a couple of those boards kicking around actually...hmmm.

How high the voltage? It's like "How High the Moon" only without all of the overdubs.
B+ is 240V on this one, I don't usually go higher than that on SMD builds.

it's an SMD layout, not quite the same as just running some clipped leads/wires for jumpers...
Does look like a plan that CAN be converted to through hole and figure out which caps to cut for a personal build. How big was the 3 board planned box going to be?
I'm not sure, I'm still a ways off on the final design. Just the power amp sim by itself is in a 1590X though, so the final thing with everything together is going to be BIG.

What output transformer are you using? I worked on a similar design for an amp maker several years ago and we went with Cinemag, which were surprisingly inexpensive for a custom wind. I think I still have a couple of those boards kicking around actually...hmmm.
I'm using a Hammond 125A, I had a handful of them kicking around from an old project that never ended up getting past prototype.

I've gotta try that out!

If you don't need a lotta bandwidth, then Hammond 125A is fine and not too expensive.

There are design rules (conductor spacing) for high voltage that are applicable above 300V.

Back