First Oscilloscope Recommendations

MBFX

I'd like to get an oscilloscope to supplement my multimeter and component tester. I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I'd like a kit if possible. Something fun to poke around with that will produce relatively accurate results.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The DSO138 is a nice little kit that can you acquainted with O-Scope functions. Just look for "DSO138 kit" on the web. It even has a built-in square wave generator for calibration.
Just note that unlike older analog scopes, these have about 2 second settling time.

DSO138_Scope.jpg

For a few bucks more...

DSO-TC3 Oscilloscope 3-in-1 Handheld Oscilloscope DDS Signal Generator Transistor Tester Portable Oscilloscope 500Khz Bandwidth 10MSa/s Sampling Rate, 6 Types of Waveforms, Transistors Measure https://a.co/d/6o1Of5M

I have no experience with that one. I did build one similar to what @Cybercow posted and it worked pretty well. I've got a really nice scope that was gifted to me by a bunch of members. 🥰

Update: I'll have one of the above tomorrow to check out....I'll let you know...(y)

I ordered a DSO154PRO, too, after seeing a shootout of some of these on youtube.

Part 1
Part 2

There's apparently two versions, 1M and 18M or something. I think the 18M comes with a better probe (10:1?). Anyway, I'm waiting for it to arrive. Hope I can wrap my head around it once it's here.

I ordered a DSO154PRO, too, after seeing a shootout of some of these on youtube.

Part 1
Part 2

There's apparently two versions, 1M and 18M or something. I think the 18M comes with a better probe (10:1?). Anyway, I'm waiting for it to arrive. Hope I can wrap my head around it once it's here.
The Pro is less expensive than the regular one on the links to aliexpress in the video

For a few bucks more...

DSO-TC3 Oscilloscope 3-in-1 Handheld Oscilloscope DDS Signal Generator Transistor Tester Portable Oscilloscope 500Khz Bandwidth 10MSa/s Sampling Rate, 6 Types of Waveforms, Transistors Measure https://a.co/d/6o1Of5M

I have no experience with that one. I did build one similar to what @Cybercow posted and it worked pretty well. I've got a really nice scope that was gifted to me by a bunch of members. 🥰

Update: I'll have one of the above tomorrow to check out....I'll let you know...(y)
This one is cheaper at Aliexpress too but it won't get here next day... and looking forward to hearing what you think about yours 🍿

Reactions: fig
There's really not a TON of use for a scope that would aid in pedal building.

If your goal is to learn more about scopes and/or electronics and audio signal science then I'd suggest reading enough to make an informed purchase because there are a dozen or so specs you'd want to be familiar with.Which ones will be more important will depend on theuse you have planned for it.

An entry-level scope is great for that kind of exploration and hands-on learning. Then when your ready for the next scope (assuming you still have an interest) you'll be better prepared to choose the one that fits your specific needs.

You've got a nice Rigol as I recall.
Correct.

Some comments, in random order.
Frequency range - huge difference, you can't beat Rigol. I've just fired up Rigol and VisualAnalyser (on a laptop, with diy probe connecded to Lexicon Alpha audio interface). Maybe it's my setup, or other user error, but with VA, sinewave looks like true sinewave up to 4kHz, Then the peaks start to become triangular.
With rigol image is stable. VA - sinewave floats a bit. I suppose it's because of the poor wiring/shielding, etc.
Once calibrated, VA readouts (voltage, frequency) are not that bad.
Nice feature of the VA is a spectrum analyser. You can cofortably see the sinewave and spectrum. With Rigol - sinewave sometimes gets too smal on a FFT screen.

Noise level - laptop is quiet, Rigol has noisy fan. Same with Siglent signal generator.

Heres a quick visual comparison

DS1Z_QuickPrint68.png va.jpg

And 20V p-p sinewave from signal generator.

va2.png

I mean can you post the link?
I googled what that meant and gman told me that we were in a relationship and I was clingy.

Winscope and sound are oscilloscope are the two I can recall.
VisualAnalyser that @tremol linked looks cool.
Scopes aren't terribly useful for most pedal stuff. The outlyer being BBD and Digital. Now, if you start getting into circuit bending or repairing older digital dsp units(it's a slippery slope, be careful) they are a necessity.
Now, real time frequency display can be big *especially* if you're doing small batches for retail. You can use it for QA.

I know nice seen some cool scope/fft plugins that are free out there. That's almost better if your looking to really compare circuits or components in circuits
Then, if you have the gear, you can reamp and record you variables and not only AB listen to them but also analyze them side by side.
Feed your different big muffs pink noise and sweep the tones stack and *see* what it's doing to the frequency response. See how different cap changes effect bass response and cut, etc.

I'll echo the Analog Discovery/2. It's a really cool piece of kit

And to ramble further, for those scope enabled already who do some repair work, look into the Octopus circuit.
It's a curve tracer circuit that you run into your scope in XY mode. Curve tracers are great debug tools.
Here's a vid from one of my favorite electronic YT channels

And so I know I said it, IF YOU USE A PC BASED SCOPE APP WITH AN AUDIO INTERFACE, MAKE SURE YOU DC BLOCK APPROPRIATELY!

Back