I'm getting started with KiCad and I'm getting along ok with the schematic editor, but I'm at the stage where I need to assign footprints and I'm finding it intimidating. I've found a few libraries on github here and there but I'm never quite sure if a component is exactly right. There are often several versions to choose from with individual attributes that I don't know how to verify, even after searching datasheets. I'm wondering if anyone could share a guitar pedal specific library that I could trust to be accurate for common items like resistors, capacitors, sockets, trimmers, pots etc...?
I'm getting started with KiCad and I'm getting along ok with the schematic editor, but I'm at the stage where I need to assign footprints and I'm finding it intimidating. I've found a few libraries on github here and there but I'm never quite sure if a component is exactly right. There are often several versions to choose from with individual attributes that I don't know how to verify, even after searching datasheets. I'm wondering if anyone could share a guitar pedal specific library that I could trust to be accurate for common items like resistors, capacitors, sockets, trimmers, pots etc...?
So for resistors and caps and stuff, that's all in the base KiCad footprint libraries -- the trouble is finding them.
Like if you want a standard-ass 1/4W resistor it's called something like "R_Axial_DIN0207_L6.3mm_D2.5mm_P7.62mm_Horizontal".
Axial = leads come out of opposite ends (Radial is multiple leads coming out of the same end)
DIN207 = whatever random standard body's code for the shape
L6.3mm = length of the body of the component
D2.5mm = diameter of the component
P7.62 = distance between the plugin holes
Horizontal = laid horizontally on the board -- there are "vertical" footprints for a lot of resistors for the really tight squeezes.
Most of the time, as long as you get the lead spacing and diameter (spacing between the components) close,
you'll end up with something you can build. Oversize them a bit if you're not sure.
For caps, you can search for "MKS" to find the wima-style box cap footprints. (The P=5mm is the standard pedal size).
When it comes to pedal-specific parts, I've found the Madbean library to be really good.
The pots, trimmers, and switches all fit the standard Tayda stuff and have nice silkscreening.
You can find the "Madbean.zip" dropbox link in this post:
I think it's time to face the KiCad after many years of using Eagle. And the appearance of version 7 of KiCad may be an opportunity to do so. I'm so used to Eagle that it's hard to switch to a different way of handling the design process for now. So far the problem for me is using the footprint library. I just can't find the equivalents that I regularly use in Eagle. Therefore, I have a question for KC users - do you know such footprints in KC?
I know that I can create my own, but maybe there's someting available and I just can't find it.
So for resistors and caps and stuff, that's all in the base KiCad footprint libraries -- the trouble is finding them.
Like if you want a standard-ass 1/4W resistor it's called something like "R_Axial_DIN0207_L6.3mm_D2.5mm_P7.62mm_Horizontal".
Axial = leads come out of opposite ends (Radial is multiple leads coming out of the same end)
DIN207 = whatever random standard body's code for the shape
L6.3mm = length of the body of the component
D2.5mm = diameter of the component
P7.62 = distance between the plugin holes
Horizontal = laid horizontally on the board -- there are "vertical" footprints for a lot of resistors for the really tight squeezes.
Most of the time, as long as you get the lead spacing and diameter (spacing between the components) close,
you'll end up with something you can build. Oversize them a bit if you're not sure.
For caps, you can search for "MKS" to find the wima-style box cap footprints. (The P=5mm is the standard pedal size).
When it comes to pedal-specific parts, I've found the Madbean library to be really good.
The pots, trimmers, and switches all fit the standard Tayda stuff and have nice silkscreening.
You can find the "Madbean.zip" dropbox link in this post:
I think it's time to face the KiCad after many years of using Eagle. And the appearance of version 7 of KiCad may be an opportunity to do so. I'm so used to Eagle that it's hard to switch to a different way of handling the design process for now. So far the problem for me is using the footprint library. I just can't find the equivalents that I regularly use in Eagle. Therefore, I have a question for KC users - do you know such footprints in KC?
I know that I can create my own, but maybe there's someting available and I just can't find it.