Eagle -> KiCad footprint equivalents

temol

I think it's time to face the KiCad after many years of using Eagle. And the appearance of version 7 of KiCad may be an opportunity to do so. I'm so used to Eagle that it's hard to switch to a different way of handling the design process for now. So far the problem for me is using the footprint library. I just can't find the equivalents that I regularly use in Eagle. Therefore, I have a question for KC users - do you know such footprints in KC?
I know that I can create my own, but maybe there's someting available and I just can't find it.

1676457101109.png

You can import your eagle libraries into kicad (which is what I have been doing so far, and it seems to work just fine) but that's probably not the answer you want

Every thread I’ve seen online when someone asks for a footprint, they always say to make it yourself. I’m surprised there’s not a repo somewhere for pedal builders KiCad resources. Maybe we can all share what we’ve got. I’ve made a few myself- 2pdt and a pot and some other simple ones. And tbh, it’s pretty easy once you do it a couple times. I can see why so many people say that. I’d be happy to share what I have if you want.

Every thread I’ve seen online when someone asks for a footprint, they always say to make it yourself. I’m surprised there’s not a repo somewhere for pedal builders KiCad resources. Maybe we can all share what we’ve got. I’ve made a few myself- 2pdt and a pot and some other simple ones. And tbh, it’s pretty easy once you do it a couple times. I can see why so many people say that. I’d be happy to share what I have if you want.
I think there's a Madbean kicad library

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I know it's possible to import Eagle footprints. In KC7 no addidional action required - there's import option of the footprints in Eagle format.
As for now I have hard time switching to KC. Something that takes me one minute in Eagle requires 5 minutes in KC.. PCB editor and footprint selection are the most annoying tasks so far

I know it's possible to import Eagle footprints. In KC7 no addidional action required - there's import option of the footprints in Eagle format.
As for now I have hard time switching to KC. Something that takes me one minute in Eagle requires 5 minutes in KC.. PCB editor and footprint selection are the most annoying tasks so far
Hope it gets easier as you go. Eagle is just inscrutable to me, to the point I've never bothered to use it for anything but doing tweaks to pre-existing layouts here and there.

The footprint selection methods in KiCAD have been problematic and annoying all the way back to the time I started using it, which I think was at early v4. But for me at least, the overall experience is much much better these days.

I only played around w KC7 for 15 minutes but I think the footprints for 2.54mm header pins indicate pin 1 by being square, so a 2 position footprint should work for both of these assuming that’s the pitch.

@andare

Here's how you manage the footprint libraries.

From the main window, choose Preferences>Manage Footprint Libraries...

1676983799762.png

Choose the 'Global Libraries' tab and you should see something like this:

1676983929901.png

Select the default libraries you want to remove (you can always add them back) and hit the trashcan.

1676984025736.png

Then click on the down arrow next to the folder icon and choose KiCad (folder with .kicad_mod files)

1676984098366.png

Navigate to where you downloaded the MadBean libs and select them all. I put custom ones at [USER]/documents/KiCad/6.0/footprints. It should have been created during the installation, but you can put them anywhere really. The default ones are located in C:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0\share\kicad\footprints

I prefixed the MadBean folders with '_MB_' to differentiate them from the system ones.

Select them all and hit 'Select Folder'

1676984364238.png

They should then be in the Global Libraries tab

1676984434577.png

Hit OK and that should do it!

I noticed that many of the naming conventions in their files is kind of wack, so you should rename them to something that makes sense to you and actually describes the file. If you open the files in a text editor, they should have a description field that gives you the info about the footprint.

Also, here's a link to some footprints I gathered and made that seem to work nice. It contains mainly the basics:

1676984937243.png

Last edited:
@andare

Here's how you manage the footprint libraries.

From the main window, choose Preferences>Manage Footprint Libraries...

View attachment 42518

Choose the 'Global Libraries' tab and you should see something like this:

View attachment 42519

Select the default libraries you want to remove (you can always add them back) and hit the trashcan.

View attachment 42520

Then click on the down arrow next to the folder icon and choose KiCad (folder with .kicad_mod files)

View attachment 42521

Navigate to where you downloaded the MadBean libs and select them all. I put custom ones at [USER]/documents/KiCad/6.0/footprints. It should have been created during the installation, but you can put them anywhere really. The default ones are located in C:\Program Files\KiCad\6.0\share\kicad\footprints

I prefixed the MadBean folders with '_MB_' to differentiate them from the system ones.

Select them all and hit 'Select Folder'

View attachment 42522

They should then be in the Global Libraries tab

View attachment 42523

Hit OK and that should do it!

I noticed that many of the naming conventions in their files is kind of wack, so you should rename them to something that makes sense to you and actually describes the file. If you open the files in a text editor, they should have a description field that gives you the info about the footprint.

Also, here's a link to some footprints I gathered and made that seem to work nice. It contains mainly the basics:

View attachment 42524
Wow, you went above and beyond. Thank you very much!

Just be aware that, at least according to Kurt Ballou, there’s a version of the Madbean library still floating around somewhere that has incorrect 16mm pot footprints. I think you probably have the right one, but when I checked one of the ones I downloaded a few years ago, sure enough the marked “center” of the pot based on silkscreen data was 5mm closer to the pads than it should have been. Worth printing to scale and checking that yours are correct, so you can download the right one if it’s not.

That’s probably a good idea. I haven’t checked them all, but most seem pretty legit so far. Except for the naming conventions.

Anyone have a good copy of the madbean library? Looks like the forum and links are down. I just started diving into KiCad this weekend and this seems like just what I need.

Back