Fuzz Captain

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well now, this one is very interesting. It's pretty damn cool. I only picked this one because it was on sale (during non-sale time). I've read it be called a modified tone bender MKII. To me it sounds and feels like a boosted fuzz face with a Muff tone stack and sag control. All this makes for a great and versatile fuzz box.

All the knobs are very interactive. Even the gain trimmer is very interactive. If I build another one I would make it an external pot. Especially since this is a high gain circuit, it's also useful to tame that a bit. Because this is a high gain circuit, it's a noisy bugger. Probably my only complaint with it.

A super underrated fuzz imo. It gets wild but that is not always a bad thing.

Tried to do an army green finish but all I had was a moss colored rattle can. Close enough. I'm happy with how it came out.

Attachments

• 20240326_193040.jpg
    20240326_193040.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240326_193054.jpg
    20240326_193054.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240326_193113.jpg
    20240326_193113.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 41
Nice build. I just ordered one myself a few days ago. After reading about it, I am planning to put the gain trim pot on the exterior. I assume it’s not a large sweep, and that’s why it’s designed to be inside. But I’ll find out.
Does the Tame switch change the sound dramatically ?

Nice build. I just ordered one myself a few days ago. After reading about it, I am planning to put the gain trim pot on the exterior. I assume it’s not a large sweep, and that’s why it’s designed to be inside. But I’ll find out.
Does the Tame switch change the sound dramatically ?
Thanks. It's not a large sweep on the gain trimmer but should be beneficial as an exterior pot. And the tame switch does brighten or darken significantly imo.

Back