Fuzz face decals

Johnnyorange500

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone could help me with acquiring or making fuzz face decals. Any ideas what’s the best technique or where to source them from?

Cheers

Johnny

If you want true, water slide decals, they’ve gotten expensive. However, if you have an ink jet printer, there are kits. (Basically a special paper and 1or 2 spray cans.) it’s important to know that the kit decals (to my knowledge, which is not recent) are fairly translucent, so they will barely read on a dark surface. Or, say on a bright red, something like yellow would read as an orange.

I‘m sure another member will chime in with more current info on the kits.

The other technology that I’ve used, “rub downs” (also called INTs, or dry transfers) are also expensive—with good art, a single color sheet, letter sized, is around $100—so really not priced for non-professional use. (Although you could fit a lot of pedals worth of words on that sheet… and they can be made in pretty much any color, including foils, etc. but multi color gets more expensive fast.) I have 8 pedals I’m using, ready to be painted and then graphics, but I’m waiting until my old business (I’m now retired) needs to order some for a job, so I can fit these into the order.

Hi Alan,

I’ve managed to ask a friend who’s a graphic designer, to do the decals for me and have bought some water slide paper. So fingers crossed, it works out? My fuzz face build is grey/silver so going to get him to make them black. What’s best to spray them with? When I’ve got them down.

Thanks for the response 👍🏻

Johnny

I use a 2 part urethane, but that doesn’t come in cans. You do need a clear coat over the top. I’m hoping someone with spray can experience will suggest specific product for you.
The clear coats that Krylon, for example, make are not durable enough for a pedal.

Whatever you get, I’d recommend a few coats, keeping them wet enough to look shiny, but not too wet to drip—this is the challenge of clear coats. So—practice on something you don’t care about. And read the instructions—some paints do best with a specific amount of drying time between coats, and others do best to respray as soon as they “flash” (where the surface no longer looks wet).

Back