FuzzDog Fuzzrite, Vintage Soda, and Cone Ripper

DGWVI

Decided to try a few discrete Fuzz devices after My recent Desolate Fuzz build. Started with these because they didn't require anything I didn't have on hand.
orca-image-971486512.jpeg

First up is the Mosrite FuzzRite clone. Built this according to the vintage spec listed in the build doc, except I increased the output caps from 2.2n to 10n, as I found it a lil anemic, but didn't wanna completely fuck up it vintage mojo. Used 2N3904s that I just grabbed out of the bin. They're socketed, but I liked the first pair I tried so left em in.

This is my first experience using a FuzzRite, and I got say I dig it. One end the the Depth pot gives you a woofier, dirtier version of whatever you put into it, the other end ups the snarl and punch considerably. I wasn't initially a fan of any of the middling settings on the dial, as they sounded thin and weakat test levels, but I got a chance to play at volume, and it's pretty versatile, though my favorite setting is with the Depth cranked.

b83423cf-6a0e-40b1-8455-797aa50c8069photo.jpeg 7de46bd7-cc0c-4364-b230-162c8c509f11photo.jpeg

Next up is the Vintage Soda, a clone of the Effector 13/ Devi Ever Soda Meiser and Vintage Fuzz Master. I had an original SM back in like 05 or so, and I loved it but I lost it somewhere along the way.

I included a switch to flip the polarity of the PNP transistor to take it from SM to VFM, and I don't hear a huge difference, but the octave is more pronounced in the VFM setting.
This thing brings the gnarl, it's huge and cutting, with an acceptable noise floor provided the chaos switch isn't engaged.

3e46a553-99b4-4485-9d9d-8f9a735ce133photo.jpeg 74ce90ef-f484-4f60-95f1-7a8f948fc9acphoto.jpeg

This is the Cone Ripper- a clone of the Torn's Peaker / Aenima / US Fuzz / Never Drive. Instead of choosing one or two of those models, I decided to add toggles and an extra pot to have them all available. Is this terribly useful? Not at all.

So, I did also have an original Torn's Peaker back in the day, too. I liked the tone, but the thing was noisy as fuck, and this is no different. In fact, just about every circuit in this thing has a shit ton of hiss and tinnitus-inducing squeal that I couldn't seem to get rid of regardless of transistor choice. I've yet to play with any of the biasing outside of swapping one of the 10ks for a 250k pot. It's also possible I totally screwed something up, so I have to keep that in mind. There are a bunch of settings that don't hiss and crackle and squeal, but they're fewer than those that will.

Overall, I do like this one, but it could certainly use improvements. My favorite settings are the US, and a gated version of the Aenima. The octave tones in this are pretty weak but they're aight
f293fa80-d57a-423b-9c11-8303c25b5df1photo.jpeg 34ba1c83-c1bd-48ca-bce2-71a67e0e1280photo.jpeg

No demo as of yet, but I do plan on making one for each of these in the next couple days as time allows

I used to build for Devi in the day. Hit me up for info on those pedals. Fuzzdog has a lot wrong with many of his Devi ideas in his build docs. The SM/Vfm should be gated fuzz with no noise floor (not in chaos mode) and a dramatic difference in modes.

I used to build for Devi in the day. Hit me up for info on those pedals. Fuzzdog has a lot wrong with many of his Devi ideas in his build docs. The SM/Vfm should be gated fuzz with no noise floor (not in chaos mode) and a dramatic difference in modes.

I recall my original having some hiss, but it was a normal high gain dirt box type deal. Definitely don't remember being gated, or at least not terribly so. Seems the same here.
But, I'll definitely shoot you a PM. Mostly concerned with the TP

Addendum to my previous post- the SM definitely isn't noisy (it's the wallwart I use for testing). But, I wouldn't call it gated.

Here's a quick vid to see if you can gauge whether it's behaving as it should -

Addendum to my previous post- the SM definitely isn't noisy (it's the wallwart I use for testing). But, I wouldn't call it gated.

Here's a quick vid to see if you can gauge whether it's behaving as it should -
That is spot on!❤️

I had similar experiences with these, minus losing my og sodameiser. The US is definitely the best sounding thing I've gotten out of my TP build. Fuzzrite is great but it doesn't rank high among the fuzzes I keep around. Both the SM builds I've done sound just like the effector 13 pictured below, though when flipping the transistor I do get a nice octave out of the vfm. Not tone machine strength but it's there.

Screenshot_20230514_094740.jpg

I had similar experiences with these, minus losing my og sodameiser. The US is definitely the best sounding thing I've gotten out of my TP build. Fuzzrite is great but it doesn't rank high among the fuzzes I keep around. Both the SM builds I've done sound just like the effector 13 pictured below, though when flipping the transistor I do get a nice octave out of the vfm. Not tone machine strength but it's there.

View attachment 48596
That is a later SM derivative made under license by Ohh La La.

View attachment 48596

I guess I'm comparing the octave switching to the FTM, which has a much more pronounced difference between the octave and non-octave modes. Each position on the switch definitely does sound different, though. While I can coax a bit of an octave out of the SM side, the VFM allows that octave all over the fretboard and brings a bit more splat.

Back