DEMO FuzzDog Quacker

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Having owned a Dr. Q, my expectations for this weren't terribly high, as I found the original quite lackluster. This is my first experience with the Jack Orman mods, and I gotta say- this thing is funkin rad!
Probably not the most versatile filter, but for a simple grab n go type deal, I honestly think this is a prime choice, second only to the FX25 for two knobbers.

Only one mod- I lowered the timing cap (C9) from 10u to 4.7u, as I'm a huge fan of quick and snappy.
I did try some other chips, the 1458 being pretty nifty- a lil dirtier with more gargle than the 072. LM358 could be fun, but would require a few other tweaks if it were dedicated to it- otherwise it goes from ear-bleeding to speaker ripping with the range anywhere other than zero.

I added the Gain trimmer and made R6 1M, with the setting you see in the pic my favorite

And, of course I made D2 external for the cool visual effect. It'll probably get the pink knobs I've been using received_870859950773068.jpeg

received_587701469784439.jpeg

The demo starts a little quieter as I was trying to show off the dynamic range, which is actually quite wide. Baritone Meteora, primarily on the middle pickup selection (Alumitone and Lipstick)

Pretty dang cool. Didn't know about this one. (Mentally adds new envelope filter to project list.)

I'd be temped to build it with the timing cap mod and no pots or switch. Just a stomp switch and an LED! :)

Pretty dang cool. Didn't know about this one. (Mentally adds new envelope filter to project list.)

I'd be temped to build it with the timing cap mod and no pots or switch. Just a stomp switch and an LED! :)
I was considering the no controls, myself :ROFLMAO: . My favorite setting so far is the bass mode, with both controls cranked. Perhaps I'll order another board

I was considering the no controls, myself :ROFLMAO: .

Love it. I was messing with the Duck Box this week and realized the threshold can always be fully clockwise. And if I want to change it, a slight tweak of my guitar's volume pot covers more range than the knob. The release knob is near useless at stock values.

But the blend switch is invaluable. It could conceivably be built with nothing but a blend switch on top.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your continuing envelope quest. I'll have to try the Dr. Q now, with your suggested mods. The LED pulsation is way cool.

Tayda has this same project, and the two other boarda I've built from them worked wonderfully

Back
Top Bottom