Getting to know Daisy (C++)

Is there going to be code available for us to have something out of the box, or do we have to code everything ourselves?

Dunno about out of the box, as there are any number of things that you could possibly want to do, but you can look here for starters:

There's a Slack group set up for the Daisy community as well, with channels concerning use of Faust, Pure Data, MaxMSP Gen~, C++, and Rust.

Dunno about out of the box, as there are any number of things that you could possibly want to do, but you can look here for starters:

There's a Slack group set up for the Daisy community as well, with channels concerning use of Faust, Pure Data, MaxMSP Gen~, C++, and Rust.
Beat me to it.

Hello electro-rockers,

I saw that this thread focuses on C++ for programming Seed, but since somebody did mention Pure Data (Pd) and Heavy I'll cross-pollinate some info from Electrosmith here regarding that.

> The Terrarium platform was designed to work as seamlessly as possible with the libDaisy Petal API.

Pd control bindings for the Petal were released on Oct 14 and there have been reports of success using it with Petal itself. Given the above, there's some chance that binding could work for Terrarium as well.

Up to this point, while I could make Pd patches and pass guitar signal through them, I was having no luck with controls -- using potentiometers + GPIO + Seed + Pd -- and that is really not supported with only the Seed.

If there's interest in Pd as a programming solution then maybe a new topic is in order. In short, Pd is visual audio programming. Heavy is a compiler that can take Pd patches and make them run on the Seed.

ref:

Last edited:
What about codeblocks? I've used it for C/C++ DLLs etc and it's pretty lightweight. Setup thread here: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=22758.0
Did a ton of stuff in the old VC++ but not much with the newer stuff
I’ve been using Code Blocks so that I can follow along to a 4 hour C++ YouTube video. Couple concerns so far: 1) it’s crashed twice already just doing basic edits to the sample code. Nothing crazy. 2) the last edit was 2013 so it appears there’s little support or bug updates for MacOS upgrades. I think I’m gonna try the VS studio one and see how different it is. Code blocks was really simple to run and test code though. Curious how it’s going for others learning C++.

I’ve been using Code Blocks so that I can follow along to a 4 hour C++ YouTube video. Couple concerns so far: 1) it’s crashed twice already just doing basic edits to the sample code. Nothing crazy. 2) the last edit was 2013 so it appears there’s little support or bug updates for MacOS upgrades. I think I’m gonna try the VS studio one and see how different it is. Code blocks was really simple to run and test code though. Curious how it’s going for others learning C++.

I've used it (code blocks and GCC) to develop an entire suite of DLLs for some of our test equipment (frequency response, plotting, spc, dsp, etc.) and it's been very robust. This is on Windows though -just checked and yeah: last windows update was march 2020 and mac was dec 2013! o_O:(

I'd still like to get back to the Pd question. On the way there, I want to get the examples posted on this subforum working on the Seed that is now plugged into a Terrarium.

I finally got Visual Studio, VisualGDB, and the STLink v3 Mini all playing nicely together... This combination is going to make designing / debugging much easier.

Another huge plus, you don't have to press the buttons on the Seed module to flash a program. Just click "Debug" in Visual Studio and it pushes the firmware to the device via USB.

The best part is being able to watch the values of variables on-screen while the program runs on the Seed.

I'm sure it's possible to get GDB to work with VS without VisualGDB but I had a hard enough time getting this configuration to work. :ROFLMAO:

This is the first time I've gotten one of the Daisy VS solutions to actually compile in VS as well.... It took some monkeying around to get it going, but it's finally compiling like it should.

I'm sure it's possible to get GDB to work with VS without VisualGDB but I had a hard enough time getting this configuration to work. :ROFLMAO:

This is the first time I've gotten one of the Daisy VS solutions to actually compile in VS as well.... It took some monkeying around to get it going, but it's finally compiling like it should.

So we all wait for the "How to make it works" tutorial now...
:p

I can show you what I did on Windows... As for other operating systems, I haven't a clue. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Ideally I'd love to get a similar setup running with one of the open source IDEs, either Eclipse or CodeBlocks... and something that doesn't require a $99 license to function. (I'm fine with it, but I suspect that will be a bit steep for some)

I just installed Eclipse and CodeBlocks to play around with....

CodeBlocks gave all sorts of random errors and froze up on the first run from a fresh installation..... no thanks. ?

Someone earlier on the thread was asking if code can be reused in C++ via includes. The answer is absolutely yes. C++ is industrial grade (I use it for work every day, I work at a large tech company) and extremely powerful. But it can also be intimidating, complex and easy to use incorrectly. When I started learning it, I used the book “Accelerated C++” which I highly recommend (I think there is a new edition out). Also I would be happy to help with language questions if anybody needs it.

Thanks for starting this thread. I also want to learn more about programming for the Daisy seed. Coming into it with very little programming and nothing in C++
I have a lot of c++ experience, but not much pedal building experience. I'm looking forward to the journey!

Back