Gutting a crappy wah and putting a better circuit in

MBFX

I've had a Crybaby Classic since my 16th birthday, and I hate the fucking thing. The sweep is wrong, it has no LED, the switch is hard to actuate, it has a huge gain boost that wrecks my fuzz pedal's shit, and it is a tone-suck even when off. Great shell, though! I figure I can make use of the shell, and install a new circuit. There aren't too many wah PCBs around that I have seen, and the vero layout selection is similarly limited.

So, here's my burning question: which DIY wah circuit is your favorite?

I own two other wahs - a 535Q mini which I can dial in to get decent sounds but I still don't really like it, and an Xotic Wah that I adore and will never remove from my main pedalboard. I think I'm looking for something older for this project, like a Vox or something. Maybe a Fuzz Wah? Hit me with your best suggestions, schematics, layouts, and PCBs!!!!

I put a Madbean Weener Wah in a Crybaby shell (reused the stock inductor) and it's rocking now. I used Jerry Cantrell specs, at least according to the internet. The Weener documentation has info on how to use classic specs and lots of options, befitting its simplicity. Honestly it didn't really turn me into wah user, but it's what I want to wah if/when I want to wah.

Unfortunately it looks like it's out of stock, but it'll probably return?

I do plan on using the stock Fasel inductor, assuming I can get it off the board and get it onto another

If you can find the weird potentiometer, the Parasite is rad. I’ve also just modded the crap out of a crybaby and been pretty stoked on it. The Shamwah is slick too.

I just want to say I agree with your assessment of the Classic but it's definitely true bypass so there should be no tone suck. Maybe yours has an issue?

Joe Gang makes boards that fit a Crybaby shell. It might be a good chance to try out a Maestro Boomerang wah, for example. But I think the Shamwah can be built to those specs as well. It's the wah Zappa used. Nice vocal quality if you can distinguish it from the other effects he had going.

Back