Highest Headroom OD

DeadAirMD

Any PCB suggestions welcomed. Was just checking out the Aion Tesseract, which is a boost that goes to 32v. What are some of the highest OD circuits I can build to get a ton of headroom?

Any PCB suggestions welcomed. Was just checking out the Aion Tesseract, which is a boost that goes to 32v. What are some of the highest OD circuits I can build to get a ton of headroom?
im confused.

highest headroom? (for maximum clean)

or an overdrive with the largest p-p voltage swing possible?

the aion tesseract is analogous to https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/integralpreamp/

both are clones of the TC electronic integrated preamp --> but this is a clean preamp and not an overdrive.

Last edited:
GCI Apostle runs internally at 36V, with one LT1054 and a voltage pump.

All JFET transistors are biased around 17 V (half of VA).

It's a stompbox emulation of Orange OR120 / Matamp GT120 amplifiers heads.

It sounds really good, it can get very very loud, i'd say there's quite a lot of headroom.

Highly recommended.

Simulcast (Hudson Broadcast) can be a good alternative.

The toggleswitch allows to select among 3 gain settings, it does clean sounds as well as overdriven sounds very well, with lots of volume on tap.

Tweed Man Overdrive (Catalinbread Formula 5F6) is also worth considering.

It can be powered with 18V for more headroom (Simulcast too), it sounds amazingly good, among my favorite circuits. It has also lots of volume on tap.

Of course, Derailer also comes to mind (Trainwreck amp emulation).

Very refined and amazing sounds from this circuit, can also be powered at 18V, can also get absurdly loud, i 've never set the volume past 1/4...
Great adjustability, thanks to the 4 toggleswitches with interesting and effective actions on the signal.
A very simple mod available on this forum, changing the gain pot, allows to dial clean or slightly overdriven sounds more easily.

With all these circuits, i always set the volume control in the first quarter of rotation, or it gets quickly very loud.

Full kits can be found on musikding.de, for all these projects.

Last edited:
Awesome man, exactly the information I was looking for. Really appreciate the time you took for that great response! Thank you!

I should have clarified my initial post better. Looking for higher headroom OD circuits to be less compressed, better note separation and a more dynamic cleaner sound. I know the Tesseract is a boost, just what got my head thinking about OD.

I very much prefer running the Duocast at 27v vs 9v for example.

Last edited:
@eh là bas ma I just built the Derailer. Amazing suggestion, I absolutely love this one.
Glad you like it !

I'd suggest to check these very simple mods, from Chuck D. Bones :

Changing the gain pot from linear to logarithmic is very useful to get some low gain sounds much more easily.

Glad you like it !

I'd suggest to check these very simple mods, from Chuck D. Bones :

Changing the gain pot from linear to logarithmic is very useful to get some low gain sounds much more easily.
I actually really like the gain with the standard pot. In the future, I may wire up the alternate pot to see if I like the range in gain more.

Back