HM-3 Hyper metal?

drgonzo1969

I am curious about this pedal. Boss HM-3. I heard about it because the guitar player from Monolord uses a Boss FZ-2 Hyper fuzz and a Boss HM-3 Hyper Metal. I hadn't ever noticed the HM-3 Hyper Metal. It's tough to keep track of Boss's naming of pedals. But I absolutely love the FZ-2 so I am now curious about the HM-3. I havent found a DIY board of it yet. Anybody know of a pcb available? There is a vero layout on dirtboxlayouts that I may tackle if I cant find a PCB somewhere. Any of you guys played one of these HM-3's? are they as kick ass as the FZ-2? Demos dont sound great for the hm-3 but that doesnt mean anything. You should listen to this song tho.

Last edited:
It's fun but as always Boss is approaching something cool, then somehow manages to make it kind of suck or at least very one-note. It's rather loose and at times flubby and bassy, which is sort of cool for sludgy tones, but not all that much else. The treble EQ knob does a better job at treble than the one on the HM-2, but leaves it sounding a bit hollow and harsh when turned up to compensate for the massive bass.

Speaking of the HM-2, there are similarities in the circuit but it's a totally different beast. Tonally, HM-3 sounds closer to a metal distortion than the HM-2 does at any setting. But it doesn't do the chainsaw thing, which is maybe why there are 5000 HM-2 clones, but hardly if any HM-3 ones out there.

I built the vero layout sometime last year and was very underwhelmed. Best way I can describe the HM-3 is a fuzz pedal that’s trying to be a HM-2. Or my vero build was in desperate need of troubleshooting. Either way I cannibalized it and moved on.

I built the vero layout sometime last year and was very underwhelmed. Best way I can describe the HM-3 is a fuzz pedal that’s trying to be a HM-2. Or my vero build was in desperate need of troubleshooting. Either way I cannibalized it and moved on.
That sounds more like you messed something up, the HM-3 sounds nothing like the HM-2 tbh, which in itself is closer to a fuzz than anything "metal".

Where did you see that Jager uses one? Apologies if its in the music video, I’m too busy getting ready to leave this morning to watch it.

Every pedalboard shot I’ve seen from him lately shows a hyper fuzz variant into an hm-2 variant. I fucking love Monolord, they’re what got me into fuzz pedals which got me into DIY.

Interesting. I love Monolord as well and didn't know he used it. I've never heard of the HM-3 but I'm going to look into it now.

Seems legit. There are photos of his board.
Oh yeah, that's it. Very interesting. I'm looking at used ones on Reverb now lol. It sounds pretty cool from the video. Very much feels like a Metal Zone foundation tonally. I want to build one!

I'm only seeing the same schematic you mentioned though.

Like... a PCB? Daring today, aren't we?
1324387600300_6213812.png

What do you guys think on that reverb listing? I’m 50/50 on it. I don’t mind the damage to enclosure or initials carved into it. Good value or no?

It's a cool pedal, I like mine.

I've never really dug too deep into it, but my understanding is that it's fairly close to a Tube Screamer with some extra clipping and a gyrator EQ similar to the other hyper pedals and metal zone.

Looks good. If it’s a bust, you can put it back on and make a little profit, it looks like.
I’m super tempted but @Robert said he had something worked up for this pedal if he can find it. I’m gonna try and be patient and wait for a pcb to become available. But that pedal looks like really good deal

Back