Honeysuckle low output

PangeaDestructor

All my build problems lately seem to involve low output. I got the Honeysuckle wired up and was a little surprised by how low the volume is, while the toggles do very little and the drive control is pretty subtle as well. I did make two substitutions using what I had on hand at the time, namely a TL072 in lieu of the 4558 and an A100k for the volume instead of a b100k. I now have both of those and can swap them out, but wanted to get some input here before doing so if that's unlikely to be causing the issue. I just went through the BOM and confirmed all the other component values.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 10
4558 vs tl072 shouldn't be a big difference, A100K will give you a better taper, but may feel like there is less volume. Are you getting above unity volume or below unity?

4558 vs tl072 shouldn't be a big difference, A100K will give you a better taper, but may feel like there is less volume. Are you getting above unity volume or below unity?
It's above, but not by much at all. Unity is around 1pm on the volume knob. Maybe this is normal, but it seems low to me, and the drive control doesn't add much volume if any, regardless of its setting.

It's above, but not by much at all. Unity is around 1pm on the volume knob. Maybe this is normal, but it seems low to me, and the drive control doesn't add much volume if any, regardless of its setting.
Not normal.

I just checked mine, with the gain at noon, tone at noon, both toggles up, unity on my Jazzmaster is at 9 o'clock on the nose.

The toggles ARE very subtle though.

Not normal.

I just checked mine, with the gain at noon, tone at noon, both toggles up, unity on my Jazzmaster is at 9 o'clock on the nose.

The toggles ARE very subtle though.
is this with a 100kB volume pot? I think that the pot taper might account for the difference since the pot on theirs is 100kA.
1661732172546.png

Yah I built mine with the B100k.

But wouldn't be the other way? Seems to me it should even be louder earlier in the sweet with the Log pot.
its working as a voltage divider and the pot can be thought of as two resistors, so the resistance to ground half way on a 100k linear pot is 50k ohms but with the log pot the resistance to ground is only ~10k ohms (depending on taper/manufacturer) on a 100k logarithmic pot at the half way point. A linear taper pot 10% of the way through its sweep should be about the same as a log pot 50% of the way through its sweep because the voltage divider is calculated so its the original voltage times the result of r2/ (r1+r2.) So for a 100k linear pot at half way through its sweep you have 50k/(50k+50k)=0.5 or 50% of the voltage you put in, but with a log pot you have 10k/(10k+90k) so 0.1, so 10% of its original voltage, and in this case voltage is your guitar signal and your output level is determined by the ratio created by the potentiometer.

1661746010523.png

Last edited:
All my build problems lately seem to involve low output. I got the Honeysuckle wired up and was a little surprised by how low the volume is, while the toggles do very little and the drive control is pretty subtle as well. I did make two substitutions using what I had on hand at the time, namely a TL072 in lieu of the 4558 and an A100k for the volume instead of a b100k. I now have both of those and can swap them out, but wanted to get some input here before doing so if that's unlikely to be causing the issue. I just went through the BOM and confirmed all the other component values.
In the demo's I have seen of this pedal, the Volume pot is 12.00 O'Clock or Higher, I would have stayed with B100K in this pedal.
I usually change to a A100K if the Demo's I see have the Volume at 9 to 10.00 O'Clock which means little movement is too sensitive for Volume to Set!
I would change your Volume pot.
I'm curious if your A100K is measuring 100K across legs 1 & 3 ???

In the demo's I have seen of this pedal, the Volume pot is 12.00 O'Clock or Higher, I would have stayed with B100K in this pedal.
I usually change to a A100K if the Demo's I see have the Volume at 9 to 10.00 O'Clock which means little movement is too sensitive for Volume to Set!
I would change your Volume pot.
I'm curious if your A100K is measuring 100K across legs 1 & 3 ???
It is, I measured it yesterday when checking the components to make sure. I'm probably going to try swapping a b100k in there to see if it makes any difference.

So this is weird, but I dropped a b100k in there and it seems much better now. I've subbed an audio taper for linear any time the latter was normally used in a volume or gain function without issue, and this may just be a trick of the ears, but it definitely has more oomph with the linear. Not as much as I would have thought would be there with level maxed, but it's totally usable.

Back