Hot D*A*M! And a couple of others.

Zanshin

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Let me preface this post by saying these are inspired by D*A*M pedals, not really clones. David Main obviously spends a ton of time picking and sourcing components and the builds themselves are beautiful.

I started collecting these boards a while ago, I’m not sure why I kept putting off building them. Also I still have more DAM pedals I want to build (like the Grease Boxes, Dragonfly, etc.) but I’m taking a break while I focus on an amp build.

Sadly I had some issues with my film free decals for a few of these. Hand made, is what I tell myself haha.

IMG_5573.jpeg

First up is The Super Bee 66 and Buzzotron.

IMG_5564.jpeg
IMG_5565.jpeg

For the Super Bee 66 I started with the PPCB Box 66 PCB, added a toggle for the input capacitor, and adapted the output capacitor toggle for a on/off/on. The combos give all the options for the 66 with Super Bee mode, and the Super Bee proper. The input toggle has a much bigger impact on the sound. Pictured with a couple of NOS AC126s, but it’s really too much gain so I have some auditioning to do.

For the Buzzotron I used the Aion FX Tethys PCB with Buzzotron values. MP42Bs in the sockets right now, and I am pretty happy with the sound.

Next the Fuzz-673 and Fuzz Sound Mk III.

IMG_5566.jpeg
IMG_5567.jpeg

The Fuzz-673 (PPCB Kilimanjaro) is a Zonk variant. NOS AC125s for Q1 and Q3, GT310B for Q2. I need to spend more time on transistor selection as I am not happy with the sound.

Fuzz Sound Mk 3 (Aion Phobos). MP42Bs and it sounds great :)

Next the Sonic Titan, Black Acid, and Ezekiel 25:17.

IMG_5568.jpeg
IMG_5569.jpeg

The Sonic Titan is on an Effects Layouts image transfer. I’m usually not a fan of 386 based pedals but I decided to give this one a try, partially because Matt Pike is a user. It’s not bad at all :)

The Black Acid is on an Effects Layouts PCB (Black Biter). It’s a silicon Fuzz Face variant, not too far from a Meathead Deluxe. I used BC549Cs.

Ezekiel 25:17 on another Effects Layouts board. This is going on my bass pedal board naturally.

Lastly, a Supa/Jumbo Tone Bender, and Yellow Hybrid Tone Bender. I don’t think D*A*M has ever done a Supa/Jumbo so consider these alternate timeline pedals ;)

IMG_5570.jpeg
IMG_5571.jpeg

The Supa is on a Aion FX Zeta board. I used BC549s. The Zeta has a toggle for Champion Fuzz Unit values too.

The Yellow Hybrid is on the PPCB Marigold board. I used the modern versions BC547 and BC549 for the silicon transistors and I started with a 2N1306 for the germanium transistor but have since changed to a MP38 which sounds way better IMO. This is a great fuzz!

Last edited:
These look great! I love the D*A*M stuff, though they generally need proper transistor selection as you mentioned.

If you haven't tried it, the FS-77 is one of my favourites. TB Mk3 with input blend and AMZ tone control. Transistor crazy, but once you have it then it's all smiles.

Thank you :)

I’m putting the FS-77 on my list!

I built an FZ-673 on vero one time and was also not happy with the sound (way too dark), even though my transistor selection seemed to work. I got a clue as to what may be going on when I ran another pedal (an EQD Disaster Transport) after it. The FZ-673 went way brighter and more MkI/Zonk-like with the delay on. Looking at the schematic, that 1.8m-2.2m resistor at the output on the original MkI was taken down to 1m, presumably to make the 673 louder. I wonder if that messed with the output impedance? I built a regular MkI and it sounds great as expected and seems to work alright with other pedals.

Glad you like the hybrid yellow! I love the one I built.

I built an FZ-673 on vero one time and was also not happy with the sound (way too dark), even though my transistor selection seemed to work. I got a clue as to what may be going on when I ran another pedal (an EQD Disaster Transport) after it. The FZ-673 went way brighter and more MkI/Zonk-like with the delay on. Looking at the schematic, that 1.8m-2.2m resistor at the output on the original MkI was taken down to 1m, presumably to make the 673 louder. I wonder if that messed with the output impedance? I built a regular MkI and it sounds great as expected and seems to work alright with other pedals.

Glad you like the hybrid yellow! I love the one I built.

I appreciate your insights on the 673. That’s another thing I can have a play with.

I was afraid the Hybrid Yellow would be like a lower gain Hoof, but yeah it is its own thing with a distinctive voice :)

Yes it is! It definitely straddles the line between MkIV and Muff, with one foot more on either side of the line depending on how you set the tone knob. I was surprised at the volume know cleanup as well.

Back