How do you straighten component leads?

Fizz

I really don't care about doing this for pedal pcbs because it is not needed but Mojotone bends their amp capacitor and resistor leads to fit them in the cool partitioned plastic parts boxes they include with their kits. I want the wire leads to be perfectly straight to look good on the turret board.

What's the best way to straighten these wire leads?
20231130_184615.jpg

I use my index, thumb and try to get right at the bend point. Bend it slightly past 180 the opposite way, then pinch and slide your fingers out to try and straighten it.

Redo until happy.

@Fizz LCSC’s on demand 3d printing is how I print everything. Cheapest option I’ve ever seen. That lead straightener will probably be under $3. I’ve probably printed enough stuff to cover the cost of an entry level 3d printer but I don’t have the space for one currently.

Edit: sorry, JLCPCB, not LCSC (their component store)

+1 Fingers.

When I was a kid I used to enjoy obsessively straightening paper clips into straight wires.

@Fizz LCSC’s on demand 3d printing is how I print everything. Cheapest option I’ve ever seen. That lead straightener will probably be under $3. I’ve probably printed enough stuff to cover the cost of an entry level 3d printer but I don’t have the space for one currently.

Edit: sorry, JLCPCB, not LCSC (their component store)
I had no idea this was even a thing. What else can I have printed by them cheaply that will help my building?

This is a cool one if you don't already have a spool rig.

I use mayo-hegar needle holders, but I'm probably the only one here with a few pairs of those just laying around. Much more useful than needle-nosed pliers.

I had no idea this was even a thing. What else can I have printed by them cheaply that will help my building?

There’s some nice toggle dress nut drivers on the forum - I’m on my phone or I’d try to dig them up for ya.

There’s a to-92 lead spreader that I use a lot - that I also can’t find, LCSC gave me a warning about the hole sizes and I had to approve it over email. They are kind of bumped into eachother on top but it still works great.

I have a few resistor / diode benders but find them useless other than for small do-34 diodes that can be hard to shape exactly right

I’ll try to edit this when I’m at a computer for actual links

There’s some nice toggle dress nut drivers on the forum - I’m on my phone or I’d try to dig them up for ya.

EDIT: I've printed this through JLC and it works very well.

Last edited:
There’s a to-92 lead spreader that I use a lot - that I also can’t find, LCSC gave me a warning about the hole sizes and I had to approve it over email. They are kind of bumped into eachother on top but it still works great.
I made a simple one for myself, probably because my brain goes to production before searching 🥲

edit: it's doable with a 0.4mm nozzle, but only just. Still worked on my Ender 3
1701883340728.png

Finally found it:

It was hard for me to grasp the scale of it when looking at the preview, it's about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch

Back