how to buy separate components instead of kit

kjs

For my next build I would like to try buying separate parts and not use a kit with a pre made PCB
( not sure the name is correct but hope you understand )

I´m thinking of start with this easy box:

But when It comes to buying the components there are so many different resistors/capacitors etc..

Is It a lot to know about components to be able to get It right?

Any suggestions on how I can get the knowledge?

Reactions: fig
That is a big part of the learning curve. There is plenty of resources on this forum. A lot of us use tayda to buy our parts as they are good quality and reasonably priced.

I have tried, Im not that good at searching,
But found an tips:
the Beginners Guide to Pedal Components from GuitarPCB.com
That seems like a good start.

Reactions: fig
Most projects use 1/4 watt resistors. Lots of folks like the Royal Ohm brand that tayda sells and that are 1% tolerance. You can just buy the values and quantity that you need.

Usually the project documentation has some kind of shopping list of what parts you need. Follow it closely and you'll be fine. Worst case is that you screw up and have to reorder the right stuff. That's how a lot of us learn

Tayda is great for most stuff and their search function is easy to use. If you're building something with modern and easily available parts they'll probably have everything you need. Some other places to look would be Love My Switches and Stompbox Parts if you're in the US. They will tend to have stuff that's a bit higher quality as well, generally speaking. Those should get you started off pretty well.

Thanks.. I was thinking ordering some were here in Sweden to get stuff quicker, that also makes me
little more insecure going from English part list to Swedish sites but the first project I had in mind
have so few parts so the advice of not overthink It and try out is good.

Thanks.. I was thinking ordering some were here in Sweden to get stuff quicker, that also makes me
little more insecure going from English part list to Swedish sites but the first project I had in mind
have so few parts so the advice of not overthink It and try out is good.
Tayda will ship from Singapore or Thailand and they ship internationally. The main issue seems to be whether or not your country has import duties that might surprise you.

Yes and I looked into "Love My Switches and Stompbox Parts" but the shipping was so much so there´s
not an option, sad cause they had nice stuff..

I´ll will order from an "ordinary" electronic shop here but wont get those fancy knobs.

It's a daunting task.

I'm building a parts list right now by going through all the BOMs and writing down what I need

I decided to buy a pack of 2600 resistors and then bought multiples for the most common values (4k7, 10k etc). It's just easier. Buy a lot more than you think you'll need.

For everything else I'm using Mouser and some local shops. It'll take forever but once I'm there I'll be able to build everything I fancy.

I thought this way was cheaper than kits but I'm not so sure. There are so many parts to buy and shipping from multiple stores is killing me.

Back